•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software Bisque Paramount Pier Comparison -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alphaman

alphaman

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:04 PM

Trying to debate which tripod to get for my MX+ (Paramount MX/MX+ Pyramid Portable Pier vs Helium Tripod). Other than the obvious differences I have noted below am I missing any other considerations? Anyone have a Helium they can give their real world review on? 

PPP / HT 

Tripod Weight                             23lbs/14lbs

Cost                                        $1995 /$1150

Max Payload                          250lbs/200lbs

Build Material                                ?/All aluminum construction

Dimensions                15 × 15 × 40/ 12 × 12 × 30 

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:01 PM

I have the Portable Pier. There might be an advantage to have more weight with he MX+ mount. It really is not a light mount and I cant imagine it on a lighter tripod. I think the main advantage is not having to bend over to make adjustments to level the tripod. 

Edited by idclimber, 09 August 2020 - 11:10 PM.

• alphaman likes this

#3 hlritter

hlritter

Sputnik

• Loc: Toledo, OH, and Sun City, FL, USA

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

I'm planning to buy the MYT Mount, and I put the same question (actually about all three of the Paramount tripods/portable piers) to the person who answered the phone. She recommended the Helium, but I didn't get clear answers to why the Helium instead of the apparently purpose-made MYT Tripod, or the differences in price and load capacity among the three, which do not all scale with price. At the moment, I think the MYT tripod is the one I'll get, since it is explicitly matched to the MYT Mount.

Edited by hlritter, 28 August 2020 - 06:23 PM.

#4 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 August 2020 - 11:19 PM

I'm not looking to throw a wrench in the deal, but I have a Parallax Instruments portable pier for my Paramount ME. Had it for about 20 years now,  no problems with either mount or pier.

Joe

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:21 AM

I have a lightweight tripod (an Avalon T-110) for my Mach1. I love it.

That said, if you plan to use your mount for visual, get the more massive tripod. If you plan to use it for imaging, then tripod mass is irrelevant as you will not be touching the mount while it's tracking, so I would get the lighter tripod. 

Also, for visual you want the higher tripod, but for imaging you will be retracting the legs, so height is a minus rather than a plus. 

#6 brian32672

brian32672

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:12 AM

The sales(lady) may have been just going with the times, (and trying to go light).

It really looks as most difference is the near 10 pounds of extra carrying weight for the older gentlemen (and ladies) could be the deal breaker.

And not so much on the fact, that it can only handle 200 pounds. (of what gear would you put 200 pounds on, for anything considered portable)

EDIT:: Well again, hate to iterate, but I guess it all depends on what you find is portable (and still in your price range).

If you find the weight, not a big deal, and think you may topple that 200 pounds. Then the answer is clear.

If you are using 125 pounds, then it depends on what you are willing to spend on comfort of knowing you have a larger footprint (that should be more stable, with even the 125)

Edited by brian32672, 30 August 2020 - 04:18 AM.

#7 Glutch

Glutch

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Richland Hills Texas

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:57 AM

I have owned the MyT portable pier and now own the Helium tripod.  I absolutely love the Helium tripod over the pier for two reasons.  1. You can rotate the mount via the mounting plate on the helium which is great for polar alignment and 2. You can adjust the feet of the Helium tripod for leveling which on the portable pier for the MyT is not so easy and requires that you extend or retract the legs which can also be dangerous when the scope is loaded as is the case during star parties.

Now to the cons.  The bubble levels on the helium tripod are not trustworthy and should not be used for leveling.  Not sure why they are even on the tripod since they do not work.  The Helium tripod legs stick out farther up on the tripod then the MyT portable pier and will need to be accounted for when setting up the mount slew limits.  Other then that I have really enjoyed the lower weight and ease of set up of the Helium tripod.

• premk19 likes this

#8 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 02 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

I have owned the MyT portable pier and now own the Helium tripod. I absolutely love the Helium tripod over the pier for two reasons. 1. You can rotate the mount via the mounting plate on the helium which is great for polar alignment and 2. You can adjust the feet of the Helium tripod for leveling which on the portable pier for the MyT is not so easy and requires that you extend or retract the legs which can also be dangerous when the scope is loaded as is the case during star parties.
Now to the cons. The bubble levels on the helium tripod are not trustworthy and should not be used for leveling. Not sure why they are even on the tripod since they do not work. The Helium tripod legs stick out farther up on the tripod then the MyT portable pier and will need to be accounted for when setting up the mount slew limits. Other then that I have really enjoyed the lower weight and ease of set up of the Helium tripod.

My experience, exactly. I moved from an Avalon Tpod 110 to the Helium. Both are equally light & rigid, but the Helium's rotating top plate and easy level adjustment sold it for me. Just use the bubble on the mount itself for levelling.

#9 RStar

RStar

Apollo

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 September 2020 - 03:17 PM

Just bought the Helium tripod for my MyT. The Software Bisque website rates the Helium at 200 pounds with legs fully extended, 250 pounds fully retracted.

Edited by RStar, 02 September 2020 - 03:18 PM.

• brian32672 likes this

#10 brian32672

brian32672

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 03 September 2020 - 05:11 AM

Just bought the Helium tripod for my MyT. The Software Bisque website rates the Helium at 200 pounds with legs fully extended, 250 pounds fully retracted.

That is much more helpful.

As now I see it is built well enough for the 250. But the rating is for safety, is what most likely the scenario.

Thanks for that update.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics