•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion U-Mount with BTs?

binoculars mount equipment Orion tripod 3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gmkirk130

gmkirk130

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:05 PM

I’m planning to get a binocular telescope (maybe an Oberwerk BT-100XL-ED) in the not-too-distant future and am wondering whether anyone has experience with the Orion U-Mount or other similar u-type mounts.

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom,

Gary

#2 drt3d

drt3d

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:15 PM

Hi Gary,

Check out this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...-vertical-axis/

I have the Orion U-mount. I debated between that and the APM mount and went with the Orion because I found it on sale for $429 (regular price is $500), vs. $650 for the APM mount.

I like the Orion U-mount, except it is a bit too stiff (too much friction) on one direction, as discussed in this thread. It is no a big problem for me, I still like the mount, but I wish it had less friction. It appears that the APM mount is better in that respect.

George

• gmkirk130 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, mount, equipment, Orion, tripod, 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics