•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with Jupiter processing - Using phone camera and manual telescope - help

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Manchego

Manchego

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Porzuna, Castilla La Mancha, Spain

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Hello guys

Thanks to the Corona pandemy, I moved to the country side and I de-dusted my grandpa´s manual skywatcher 1000/200.

A couple of months later I started to do "astropotography"

I would like to get advice in the process I have followed to photograph and process Jupiter. It would be great to here if we my current setup would be possible to process a better picture (i.e. if my processing work flow is missing something)

First of all my tools are:

- skywatcher 1000/2000 EQ5 (no automation of any kind)

- 6mm Celestron Omni Ocular

- Xiaomi Mi 9 phone

- Phone to ocular adapter (which works great btw and it was only 15€ tongue2.gif)

Light conditions are really good in these unpopulated area of Spain: La Mancha (where Don Quijote fought the Giants disguissed as wind mills)

Procedure of filming a video:

Well... my telescope does not have a motor, so everything is done manual. I dont own any dedicated camera so I use my smartphone one.

I use a cheap adapter to align phone camera lense and telescope ocular.

I do a polar alignment so I only need to rotate around the RA axis

Then the fun starts. As my phone stock camera (i have tried also other apps) is not able to record Jupiter without overexposing, I switch to pro camera mode witch allows me to reduce ISO till the point I start to see smth similar to what I see when looking myself at the ocular. But as I want to record a video, the only way I found to do this, is to use the built-in screen recorder. So yeah, pretty much I adjust ISO till I can see in my phone screen Jupiter details, I do also a 2x digital zoom, and start recording the camera.

During 20mins I record jupiter by moving manually the RA as soon as Jupiter starts to get out of scope. So i let to cross from side to side of the screen, and when starts to dissapear I readjust RA to have it in view again, and so on laugh.gif. A bit painful to be honest to do all of this manually. At the end I get a ~2000 frames video

3NrgJZc.gif

Processing:

Before feeding it to PIPP I crop the video to remove the buttons of the camera laugh.gif

DsVxvKl.gif

Finally, I can move ahead and do the PIPP, Autostacker & RegStax thing:

- on PIPP i select to get 1200 best frames and I output the avi file

5S9dl9c.gif

- on AutoStack I do this:

Z7trgq9.jpg

and I get this picture for 5%

eg3GqpZ.png

Then on RegStaX I play a bit with wavelengths but I am very noob with this. This are the final images:

xZw0jUZ.jpg

N14Tvp3.jpg

GAdZHI7.jpg

I am aware that manual control and phone camera is not the best combination for astrophotography. But I am sure that with my current equipment I should be able to get more detail in the final pictures. I would like to hear advises and suggestions.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics