•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just starting out and looking at equipment...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Apollo, PA, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:32 PM

So I’m looking at maybe buying the Orion skyview pro 8” kit. I would rather buy the Orion 6 or 8” Newtonian Astrograph reflector but I’d rather buy a used mount and tripod with it instead. Any opinions would be welcome. 

#2 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:09 AM

That's more of a visual scope that a photographic rig.  What targets are you thinking about imaging?

#3 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:22 AM

Until I get a camera of some kind I only plan on viewing. Viewing anything the telescope can reach. As to images, I suppose pointing the telescope with a cheap camera and playing around with software is about the only I was planning on learning and expanding. My biggest problem really is finding a good mount and tripod with 25 lb capacity. I keep finding them rated at 12 or 30 etc. The ones I find at 25 lb are go to and I’m not needing go to at this moment. I plan on the telescope weighing 17 lbs and the lenses and camera weighing an additional 1-2 lbs. 

#4 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:27 AM

Ah, gotcha.  The CEM 25 might work for you, but I'm not sure what your budget is.

#5 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:32 AM

I guess I’m ok with spending a couple to few hundred dollars on a mount.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:34 AM

Moving to mounts. This is about a mount choice not about imaging.

A 25 lb rated capacity mount would have a 12-15 lb capacity for imaging. All non-premium mounts are rated for visual. Imaging is more demanding.

#7 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:57 AM

If you start with a visual and intend to swap it over for images then check that it can actually delievr an image. Many reflectors have the image plane from the mirror too far inwards for the camera and the image to coincide. Meaning no image on the camera.

Skywatcher had a neat trick of saying you could attach a DSLR, they never however said you could image with one or get an image, just attach. And being simple minded you could attach a DSLR with a 6" nail, and like the Skywatcher you wouldn't get an image either.

Always check the wording and believe no-one.

#8 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:02 AM

Moving to mounts. This is about a mount choice not about imaging.

A 25 lb rated capacity mount would have a 12-15 lb capacity for imaging. All non-premium mounts are rated for visual. Imaging is more demanding.

I totally get that and I get why.  I guess part of the problem in shopping for mounts is understanding the motor specs as well. For example, the Orion EQ 3M single/dual axis DC motor drives. I can’t find the actual specs and figure they have a weight limit of near 10-15 lbs. The go to mounts motors obviously have higher weight ratings thus part of the telescope increase in price. 

#9 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:49 PM

If you start with a visual and intend to swap it over for images then check that it can actually delievr an image. Many reflectors have the image plane from the mirror too far inwards for the camera and the image to coincide. Meaning no image on the camera.

Skywatcher had a neat trick of saying you could attach a DSLR, they never however said you could image with one or get an image, just attach. And being simple minded you could attach a DSLR with a 6" nail, and like the Skywatcher you wouldn't get an image either.

Always check the wording and believe no-one.

please explain further...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics