•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie on AP file names

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City, MO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

Hello all CN'ers!

I am just getting started and having watched a few YouTube videos on AP. I see the trials of setup and guiding control in detail, but very little have indicated on the naming of files captured from either DSLR or Cooled CCD/CMOS cameras. I know that there are Lights, Darks, Bias, and Flats which are taken at the time of capture or separately to best show the lens or telescope optics train characteristics. BUT, I don't know of the what, when, where, those files are transferred from storage to a computer for processing. Do the files coming from the cooled cameras come named?  I know the DSLR are commonly named according to the file naming convention of the manufacturer.  I presume the files are re-named by the author to indicate all the information so that they can be aligned, registered, and calibrated.  True?

Sorry for the interruption to your normally scheduled viewing. :-)

Peace,

Stuart

#2 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:33 AM

The capture software (APT, NINA, SGP) generally has a complex name scheme (user defined) that has type, as well as camera, target, camera temp, ISO/Gain, Binning, etc...

If you are just using a DSLR, without capture software, it would be up to you to change the names in a File Explorer, or manually put the files in folders by type.  You have to designate the file type in the stacking software, such as DSS.

#3 endlessky

endlessky

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I use a Nikon D5300. The default camera naming is DSC_XXXX.NEF, where XXXX simply varies from 0001 to the maximum number of frames taken before I delete them from the SD card. Then the cycle restarts.

To keep everything tidy, I have a folder named Astrophotography, in there I have n-subfolders according to how many cameras I use, and then, inside each camera subfolder, I make a new folder for every new session I do, with this format: YYYY-MM-DD - Name of Subject. There, I make n-subfolders, one for the RAW data, one for the FLATS, one for the DARKS, etc. Each subsequent calibration step has its own subfolder, in the appropriate location. After I am done integrating, I usually keep only the RAW data (so I can reprocess everything from the start, if I want to have another go at the data, after some time and some post-processing skill increase) and delete all the intermediate calibration files.

A lot of astrophotography capturing/sequencing programs allow you to edit the naming convention of the files according to numerous, custom controls: file type (light, dark, bias, etc.), filter used, name of subject, length of exposure, etc. So, you can go from no name customization, to manual name customization, to full automatic name customization, accordingly to how detailed you want to be and what software you use for your acquisition.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

Hello all CN'ers!

I am just getting started and having watched a few YouTube videos on AP. I see the trials of setup and guiding control in detail, but very little have indicated on the naming of files captured from either DSLR or Cooled CCD/CMOS cameras. I know that there are Lights, Darks, Bias, and Flats which are taken at the time of capture or separately to best show the lens or telescope optics train characteristics. BUT, I don't know of the what, when, where, those files are transferred from storage to a computer for processing. Do the files coming from the cooled cameras come named?  I know the DSLR are commonly named according to the file naming convention of the manufacturer.  I presume the files are re-named by the author to indicate all the information so that they can be aligned, registered, and calibrated.  True?

Sorry for the interruption to your normally scheduled viewing. :-)

Peace,

Stuart

Astro specific cameras require software to run them.  The software has a place where you can specify the naming structure you want.  There'll be a default.

DSLRs typically have their own naming structure, it's so unsophisticated that people often rename the files.

The software for calibrating/aligning/stacking generally has a multiple bin structure for loading the various files.

It can be possible to set up a naming structure so the calibrating/aligning/stacking software automatically puts the file in the right bin, I've never tried that.

Edited by bobzeq25, 10 August 2020 - 10:58 AM.

#5 kisstek

kisstek

Viking 1

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:29 PM

As an example, here's one of my subs from my first mosaic I'm working on.

NGC6992-Panel-1_LIGHT_Ha_2020-08-09_00-29-57_0.50C_600.00s_0026.fits

This was produced by NINA although my APT file names are almost identical (APT doesn't have the 0026 sequence number in them).

#6 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kansas City, MO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

Astro specific cameras require software to run them.  The software has a place where you can specify the naming structure you want.  There'll be a default.

DSLRs typically have their own naming structure, it's so unsophisticated that people often rename the files.

The software for calibrating/aligning/stacking generally has a multiple bin structure for loading the various files.

It can be possible to set up a naming structure so the calibrating/aligning/stacking software automatically puts the file in the right bin, I've never tried that.

Thank you Bobzeq25 AND all others for the responses. I do appreciate them all. 

I have not purchased a software capture application as of yet. 

I do have my amateur Canon 80D DSLR camera which is not modified. 

It is capable of capturing some of the brighter nebulae, planetary (solar), double stars, but not necessarily deep sky objects. 

I am still awaiting stock refill of my chosen mount, the HEQ-6 Pro.  I was told but a few of the vendors that I will need to wait until September before the systems of delivery recover. 

So many pieces to this puzzle.

Stuart

• bobzeq25 likes this

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:52 PM

Thank you Bobzeq25 AND all others for the responses. I do appreciate them all. 

I have not purchased a software capture application as of yet. 

I do have my amateur Canon 80D DSLR camera which is not modified. 

It is capable of capturing some of the brighter nebulae, planetary (solar), double stars, but not necessarily deep sky objects. 

I am still awaiting stock refill of my chosen mount, the HEQ-6 Pro.  I was told but a few of the vendors that I will need to wait until September before the systems of delivery recover. 

So many pieces to this puzzle.

Stuart

That DSLR can capture DSOs well.  Below is an example, with a Nikon D5500.  Light polluted skies, but also, I had a fair amount of experience then.  The DSLR is worst on emission nebulae, the terrestrial UV-IR cut filter blocks much of he hydrogen alpha light.  There is a cure (modding), you needn't  worry about it now.

The simple and good (and cheap <smile> ) capture program is BackyardEOS.  There are more complicated alternatives,  BYE will do nicely for now.

https://www.otelesco.../2-backyardeos/

M31 SV70T small.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 10 August 2020 - 01:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics