•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP No ASI Camera Found

astrophotography CMOS equipment
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dchamb

dchamb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brighton, IL, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:48 AM

Hello

I am trying to bring my ZWO ASI1600MM-Pro inside to take darks since it is cooler indoors. I have installed the latest version of SGP on my desktop (Windows 10), the latest ZWO drivers including the ASCOM drivers from their website, and ASCOM 6.4.

When I start SGP, it gives me a dropdown showing ZWO Camera, ASI Camera (1) and ASI Camera (2). When I click on either ASI Camera (1) or (2), I get an error "No ASI Camera detected". Of course, the camera is connected via USB and the power supply is connected to the camera. I've tried changing USB ports, to no avail.

I'm not sure what to do as a next step.

Thanks

Dale

#2 StephenW

StephenW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

Do you see the camera listed when you run Device Manager?  The drop down options in SGP will be present even if the camera is not installed, plugged in, powered on etc.

And have you tried accessing the camera using ASIStudio?    If the camera is not found there then you should probably just try re-installing everything to see if it helps

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:29 AM

Under Windows 10 right click the start button & open device manager. You should see an imaging devices section as in the screen shot attached. If you don't see this then you have no connection to the camera.

Start as suggested by reinstalling all the drivers and restart the computer with the camera connected. If you still don't see the camera check your cable- if its a USB 3 device ensure your using a USB3 cable & make sure external power is also connected.

I had this issue a lot on my previous computer motherboard which was quite old. The connection has now become far more stable since I've changed to a new motherboard and chipset but I do still occasionally lose the camera & need to restart the computer with the camera & power connected as well as unplugging & plugging the USB cable back in.

Good luck with sorting this issue.

camera.PNG

#4 dchamb

dchamb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:47 AM

Thanks, I'll try reinstalling the drivers. I am using a USB3 cable and not going through a hub. Windows makes the sound like a USB device connected but I don't see the ZWO under Imaging in the device manager.

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, I'll try reinstalling the drivers. I am using a USB3 cable and not going through a hub. Windows makes the sound like a USB device connected but I don't see the ZWO under Imaging in the device manager.

This could be an interrupt conflict. Try & simplify the system initially by having nothing plugged in other than the camera then if you see the camera find the conflicting device by plugging devices in one by one. Also do a device rescan through device manager to see if the camera connects.

#6 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried simply restarting the computer after installing drivers, before plugging the camera in?

#7 dchamb

dchamb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:58 PM

This might be a dumb suggestion, but have you tried simply restarting the computer after installing drivers, before plugging the camera in?

Yes I did. I even reinstalled the drivers and nothing worked. I'm going to try my laptop next.

Dale

#8 dgpilot

dgpilot

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:42 AM

I just had this exact same problem today, for no reason. It had been working fine for months and all of a sudden tonight no ASI1600mm found. I restarted the PC, plugged-unplugged usb, d/c power from the camera, nothing worked. But the camera had power light on and you could hear the fan running. 

I never figured it out and canceled my imaging session tonight. 

#9 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

I too have the same issue using SGP. I use an ASI533MC Pro. What I have to do is unplug the usb connection with SGP running, then plug it back in. Then and only then will SGP "see" the camera. Also I have to wait until the 533 connects before I can plug in my ASI290mm guide camera, otherwise SGP will try to connect to the guide camera first. I guess this is something I'll have to live with as I cannot find the fix.

#10 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

I too have the same issue using SGP. I use an ASI533MC Pro. What I have to do is unplug the usb connection with SGP running, then plug it back in. Then and only then will SGP "see" the camera. Also I have to wait until the 533 connects before I can plug in my ASI290mm guide camera, otherwise SGP will try to connect to the guide camera first. I guess this is something I'll have to live with as I cannot find the fix.

I assume you are using "ASI Camera 1 or 2" in SGP.  If you open the ASCOM settings for the camera you can choose which camera SGP will connect to.  That setting should be saved for the next time.  I have three ZWO cameras running at the same time (ASI6200, ASI2600 and ASI174mini).  I keep them all connected to the computer all the time and have no problems with SGP connecting to the proper camera for the sequence that is open. 

#11 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:20 PM

Does the computer make a "ba-doonk" sound when you plug in the camera?

I use SharpCap to quickly and easily test USB and camera problems.

#12 drew2578

drew2578

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bothell, WA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

I've seen this before.  Powering everything off (USB hub, camera, etc...) usually helps OR changing to a different port on the computer works as well.  (I did the latter a few nights ago)

#13 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:25 PM

I assume you are using "ASI Camera 1 or 2" in SGP.  If you open the ASCOM settings for the camera you can choose which camera SGP will connect to.  That setting should be saved for the next time.  I have three ZWO cameras running at the same time (ASI6200, ASI2600 and ASI174mini).  I keep them all connected to the computer all the time and have no problems with SGP connecting to the proper camera for the sequence that is open. 

Correct.It's ASI Camera 1. Even opening Ascom settings and selecting the camera(ASI Camera 1), I still have to pull the usb cable out of the back of the camera and put it back in, WITH SGP running. Being that I am totally mobile I do not keep the cameras connected to the computer. Alas I think it's gonna boil down to the fact that I'm running usb connections thru the USB2.0 ports coming out of the back of my CEM60. I do run a powered USB 3.0 hub to the computer. But maybe it's the USB2.0 connections at the mount that are causing some sort of log jam. 

Anyway, I love the camera and am glad I purchased it.

here's my latest image using the 533

Attached Thumbnails

• final_PS.jpg

#14 dchamb

dchamb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:31 PM

Yesterday, I installed the ZWO drivers, ASCOM 6.4 and SGP 3 on my laptop. Then plugged in the camera and the device manager shows it under Imaging Devices. Ran a sequence of different exposure lengths for darks than ran for 9 hours with no problem. It works!

Now I have a way to run darks indoors where it is cooler. And my camera seems to be fine. At a later time I'll try to figure out why this didn't work on my desktop.

Thanks all

Dale

#15 dchamb

dchamb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:32 PM

Correct.It's ASI Camera 1. Even opening Ascom settings and selecting the camera(ASI Camera 1), I still have to pull the usb cable out of the back of the camera and put it back in, WITH SGP running. Being that I am totally mobile I do not keep the cameras connected to the computer. Alas I think it's gonna boil down to the fact that I'm running usb connections thru the USB2.0 ports coming out of the back of my CEM60. I do run a powered USB 3.0 hub to the computer. But maybe it's the USB2.0 connections at the mount that are causing some sort of log jam.
Anyway, I love the camera and am glad I purchased it.

here's my latest image using the 533

Very nice image!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics