•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars August 10th, 2020

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

Here is a new Mars observation from this morning between 4:30 and 5:30 EDT as Mars was approaching the meridian.  Seeing was pretty good (yay!). 

Plenty of haze and some dust in the Martian atmosphere so the contrast was low, although Mares Sirenum and Cimmerium were relatively dark, especially on their northern side.  I was able to confirm the Gomer Sinus--it popped into view twice when the seeing was very stable--you need really good seeing for that bad boy. 

The bluish North Polar Hood (NPH) was prominent and the broad, yellowish morning limb arc was still making a showing.  With the magenta filter (W30) I could see what looked like a fairly large, bright cloud just in from the southern limb.  It wasn't there with the red filter (W23A) so it must have been water ice or CO2 and not dust.

The South Polar Cap (SPC) is really shrinking--it's late spring in the southern hemisphere of Mars--summer begins at Ls 270 degrees.

Same routine with the sketch--2B and HB pencils and a stump at the eyepiece and colored indoors immediately after with color pencil dust applied with a Q-tip.

I've enjoyed seeing more great sketches from Kris, Paul, Chris, and Uwe.  flowerred.gif

2020-08-10-0855-MR-CM173.jpg

• Kris., Magellanico, frank5817 and 18 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:57 AM

Michael,

Very fine sketch. Mars keeps getting better. The details are showing through as we catch up with it.

Frank :)

#3 Rick Runcie

Rick Runcie

Explorer 1

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

Very nice sketch Michael. I purposely was observing a little earlier, well several hours earlier to catch Solis Lacus rotating off disc. I look forward to your sketches so I can compare with mine from NJ. Clear and steady skies to you my fellow Mars observer.  Best regards, Richard 

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

Michael,

Very good sketch of Mars (On August 10th, 2020) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

Frank and Tom--thanks!  Isn't it great that Mars isn't such a hard squint anymore?  lol.gif

Very nice sketch Michael. I purposely was observing a little earlier, well several hours earlier to catch Solis Lacus rotating off disc. I look forward to your sketches so I can compare with mine from NJ. Clear and steady skies to you my fellow Mars observer.  Best regards, Richard 

Rick, thank you for the compliment--and I always like comparing observations.  I've been waiting for the most optimal conditions of altitude when observing Mars so I still haven't had a chance for Solis Lacus--but it's coming.  smile.gif   I remember what a thrill it was to finally get a good look at the "Eye of Mars" back in 2003--it was really dark and contrasty that year. cool.gif

Thanks, likers!  flowerred.gif

Edited by Special Ed, 11 August 2020 - 08:52 PM.

• frank5817 likes this

#6 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:55 AM

Wonderful sketches, and a report to match. We'll done Michael!

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 08:48 AM

Thanks, Darren!  I've been shut down for a week here with clouds and rain--finally getting a break in the weather tonight.  Fingers crossed the seeing will be decent.

Thanks for the additional likes, folks.  smile.gif

• DDEV likes this

#8 Marvin452

Marvin452

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

Very fine sketches - it's nice to read of others process.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:49 PM

Thanks, Marvin!  I've learned a lot here by reading how folks produce their work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics