•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone notice this?

ATM DIY lens making mirror making optics reflector
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:14 AM

On here and in my astronomy club (Skyscrapers) I've been referred to as "an expert" in telescope making.  For the life of me, I don't remember when I had learned so much to merit being called that.  After much thought, I think I've figured it out.

I may have picked up some experience along the way but not that much.  The answer is far less glorious -- At the age of seventy-five, I've simply outlived most of the people who were experts in earlier times.

Not much of an accomplishment at all.   :)

• mark cowan, Mike I. Jones, David Castillo and 9 others like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

Heh! I'm 72, going on 73. At this point we have entered the stage where titles and awards are generally ~Life Achievement~ and ~Honorary~ sorta things. A friend of mine has taught Martial Arts for many decades, 6th degree blackbelt "old-school" where they don't just give them away. They want to promote him to 7th dan; he's ambivalent, modestly feeling that he doesn't deserve it. Feynman felt that way about his Nobel Prize, but (thankfully and graciously) accepted!

The Miss-Maners etiquette is to ~graciously accept~ titles, honors, else risk offending the benefactors. They generally have good reason in their selection, and you are honoring them to accept.    Tom

• Terra Nova and ShaulaB like this

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

I think you are being way too modest. I have worked with young adults for over 30 years as a teacher. Over the years, the knowledge and skill in using tools, troubleshooting, and improvising has generally gone the way of the buggy whip in young folks. Sure, their computer skills are good, but knowing how to work with physical stuff is in general lacking. The philosophy tends to be "push a button and something will happen." Golly, I am sounding old smile.gif .

An exception is our 30 year old son. He was raised to fix things, think things out, and make do. So he is really good at repairing, and even making new, electronics and other gear. And he helps us with house maintenance.

My point is, please share your knowledge with as many folks as you can. I know the virus limits what interactions we can have with other people. Who knows how long this will last.

PS we have two home-built Dobs in our home that we made in the 1990's and still use happily.

PPS Augustus here on CN is a young person with ATM skills.

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:30 PM

Not to diminish any actual expert achievements, but I've found quite often that simply "you can do (or know) something I can't do (or don't know)" makes you an expert.

...especially in IT, when you don't run fast, far and soon enough -- and end up getting tagged as "the expert" (a fate worse than death).  :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, DIY, lens making, mirror making, optics, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics