•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Repairing an AZEQ6?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• topic starter
  • Loc: cincinnati

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

My AZEQ6 has been slipping, and not tracking smoothly, in right ascension.
A few months ago I disassembled my AVX mount. It was jammed. I solved the problem, reassembled the mount, and it works fine now.
Has anyone here worked on the AZEQ6 mount? I'm inclined to diagnose the problem myself, get the needed part from Skywatcher, and fix it... saving me $200 in labor/shipping.
But... if your repair experience with this mount has been unfavorable... please talk me out of it.
Thanks!

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

The AZEQ6 is not particularly more difficult to work on than the AVX.  The thing you have to be careful of are the electronics and wire connections.  The wire connectors for the axis encoders and PEC module are very small and flimsy and can be easily pulled of the motor board if you are not careful.  

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:58 PM

See the teardown guide https://www.cloudyni...teardown-guide/

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

There is no reason to remove the mount head from the base as done in those instructions.  The instructions also do not cover the replacement of the worm bearings which is very important to the potential improvement of the mount's performance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics