•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars - 2020-08-10 - C14 - Great seeing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:51 PM

Mars in good seeing. Last night, I was waiting for mars to clear trees and by about 2:30 AM, it was at a good height (30 degrees) and seeing improved.
It was easy to hit 160 FPS with 275 gain keeping it nice and smooth. This is 12% stack of 31.5K frames.

Stacked using Autostakker 3 with multi scale AP.

Wavelets in Registax6, Secondary deconvolution in Pixinsight and finished in Photoshop.
50% blend of Topaz Sharpen AI.

The Topaz sharpen is too sharp.. but I just couldnt help it blending it in laugh.gif .. It is almost like what you would seen a game video., not quite real but pretty to look at.

I am really enjoying the ASI290MC way more than ASI224MC.. I always got crunchy results with that one.

2020-08-10-0728_6-RGB-Mars_lapl4_ap534.png

Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

I have tiny snippet of the seeing:

get.jpg?insecure

C&C welcome as always

• Sunspot, Rick Runcie, JMP and 24 others like this

#2 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

I love you caught Olympus Mons right on the terminator. That was my goal this morning, but I missed it by a few minutes.  I believe that dark spot is the huge caldera on top, in shadow.

Excellent result!

• anismo likes this

#3 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:58 PM

You've obviously collected some great data, but personally I would like to see a Topaz-free version.  Even before I read your description, I thought something looked a little off, a bit unnatural about the image (which may well be what you're going for from your text).  All personal preferences, I know, and of course not everyone shares mine!  Also, as I often do, I'd suggest a colour balance in Photoshop or similar.  That can bring out the more subtle variations in surface colours, and highlight any cloud that may be present.

Edited by KiwiRay, 10 August 2020 - 04:02 PM.

• anismo likes this

#4 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

You've obviously collected some great data, but personally I would like to see a Topaz-free version.  Even before I read your description, I thought something looked a little off, a bit unnatural about the image (which may well be what you're going for from your text).  All personal preferences, I know, and of course not everyone shares mine!  Also, as I often do, I'd suggest a colour balance in Photoshop or similar.  That can bring out the more subtle variations in surface colours, and highlight any cloud that may be present.

I agree. I actually was not going to do it.. but it is addictive to see the shocking "faux" detail pop up. Here is the non-topaz version (Just Registax and PI). 

I couldnt figure out a good color balance. The auto color in Registax doesnt seem right . so I just hit it with 25% SCNR for green channel in PI and left it at that.

2020-08-10-0728_6-RGB-Mars_lapl4_ap534_REG_PI.png

• JMP, sfugardi, Kenny V. and 10 others like this

#5 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:08 PM

I love you caught Olympus Mons right on the terminator. That was my goal this morning, but I missed it by a few minutes.  I believe that dark spot is the huge caldera on top, in shadow.

Excellent result!

Thanks Grant. I had no idea as well. I was just waiting for it to pop up so I can set it up and go to sleep. The autorun feature of firecapture is a lifesaver.. :)

#6 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the new version, Anis - that looks terrific to me.  Regarding colour balance, Registax doesn't do a great job with Mars, although I often use its balanced colours as a starting point for further adjustment in Photoshop.  Even in Photoshop, I have to mix "auto levels" (which does both colour and contrast) and "auto color", as they have different effects on colour, and a blend of the two seems to work best.  I also have to increase saturation with the ASI224MC, but I'm not sure that's such an issue with the 290.

Edited by KiwiRay, 10 August 2020 - 06:56 PM.

• anismo likes this

#7 AstroDan2015

AstroDan2015

Apollo

• Loc: Racine, Wisconsin

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

Wow, magnificent! waytogo.gif

• anismo likes this

#8 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the new version, Anis - that looks terrific to me.  Regarding colour balance, Registax doesn't do a great job with Mars, although I often use it's balanced colours as a starting point for further adjustment in Photoshop.  Even in Photoshop, I have to mix "auto levels" (which does both colour and contrast) and "auto color", as they have different effects on colour, and a blend of the two seems to work best.  I also have to increase saturation with the ASI224MC, but I'm not sure that's such an issue with the 290.

Thanks for the tip! I will try it out. 

Wow, magnificent! waytogo.gif

Thank you Dan!

and Thanks for all the likes too. 

#9 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:13 AM

Captured lots of details waytogo.gif

• anismo likes this

#10 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:33 AM

Astonishing images bow.gif

• anismo likes this

#11 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

superb!
  • anismo likes this

#12 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:39 AM

Wonderful image Anis! I would agree with Ray that the second image looks more natural.

I was likewise excited by the prospect of Topaz's "machine learning" approach, but unfortunately in my testing at least it tended to "crunch" the details too much for planetary work ... I guess we do start out with images that are much more blurry than any normal photographer would lol. I wonder what a version of their software specifically trained on astronomy images could achieve?

(I feel like I might have said all this before, apologies if I'm repeating myself!)

That said, when I saw your image on Astrobin I did think that it had handled Mars much more "naturally" than it seems to do with Jupiter and Saturn ... promising!

• anismo likes this

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:40 AM

Nice outcome Anis..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• anismo likes this

#14 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Gotland, Sweden 57:30N.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:08 AM

Well done - thanks for sharingwaytogo.gif

Magnus

• anismo likes this

#15 anismo

anismo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Wonderful image Anis! I would agree with Ray that the second image looks more natural.

I was likewise excited by the prospect of Topaz's "machine learning" approach, but unfortunately in my testing at least it tended to "crunch" the details too much for planetary work ... I guess we do start out with images that are much more blurry than any normal photographer would lol. I wonder what a version of their software specifically trained on astronomy images could achieve?

(I feel like I might have said all this before, apologies if I'm repeating myself!)

That said, when I saw your image on Astrobin I did think that it had handled Mars much more "naturally" than it seems to do with Jupiter and Saturn ... promising!

Thanks Darren.  I appreciate your insight!

I think the training set they have used is optimized for birds and regular photography and it probably is not optimal for astro images. However, it seems to be working well for images with small scale contrast . For Jupiter that I tried first, It was full strength and it clearly went overboard. It completely breaksdown for Saturn . Also, it doesnt work for all types. I have been shooting quite a few nights and some of the less-than-excellent seeing data dont work. 

I think smaller blend (like 25% or lower blend) can provide local contrast changes that can be quite pleasing. It certainly has been fun to play with this :)

• DMach likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics