•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinions on this mount (iEQ30 Pro)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ET_PhoneHome

ET_PhoneHome

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

I'm thinking this is going to be more than sufficient for visual, with with either my 100mm refractor or 6" SCT, but is it going to be pretty good for imaging?  I was originally thinking of going with the 2" tripod model, but the LiteRoc sounds interesting (plus the 2" is out of stock, and I need it sooner rather than later).  At this time, I don't want to spend several thousand on a mount, and I'd also like to stay somewhat lightweight.  The other contender is the Celestron AVX, but I think it's going to get outclassed by the EQ30?

https://www.ioptron....uct-p/3003e.htm

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

Check with iOptron. Your mount and 2” tripod appears to be available. Call and ask for Kevin or John. I’ve found in the past that they are available and very helpful. 
good luck

• ET_PhoneHome likes this

#3 latentfuss

latentfuss

Explorer 1

• Loc: Northern RI

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:41 PM

I have one of these, (with the 2" tripod) and I'm very happy with it. For AP, I'm mounting a Canon DLSR and lens and shooting at a 300mm focal length. I recently updated the payload with a 50mm auto-guider. Point being, I'm nowhere near the capacity of the mount... I don't have to use any counterweights for balance, but I do extent the counterweight bar quite a bit.

Tracking is perfectly adequate for the 300mm lens, and when the auto-guider is engaged I don't see any star trails even on very long exposures.

I've had no trouble with either ASCOM or INDI interfaces communicating with the mount.

Setup and teardown are both quick and easy.

I'm curious about how well it's going to perform with a longer focal length and/or a heavier payload. For now, with the equipment I'm using, I have no complaints.

#4 jiawen

jiawen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:05 AM

I have an iEQ30 Pro and am generally happy with it. Some caveats I feel duty-bound to give, though:

• I've had some problems with the polar scope and (apparently) the hand controller connections. The polar scope was apparently installed wrong before I first bought the mount, which led to a lot of teeth-gnashing when I could never seem to get good alignment. A year or so after I bought it, I also started having those controller connection issues. When I'd turn it on, the HC would report a main board problem (I don't remember the exact error; I think it was something "RA and Dec Connection Problem"). Via my dealer, I sent it back for repairs, which took a few months. Since I got it back earlier this year, the polar scope has seemed much better. The connection problems have continued, though. Turning the mount on and off again usually resolves this. I've also opened the case and re-tightened the board a couple times now, which has also helped when turning it on and off again didn't resolve the issue. I'm hesitant to send it back for repairs again, with the pandemic. It's mostly been pretty reliable since I got it back, anyway.
  • There are some questionable design choices: Lots of things where tightening the same item too far loosens some other item; too many loose but necessary items that are small and flat back and therefore easy to lose in a dark field; as others have noted, the main bubble level is in a very awkward place; the declination axis desperately needs a bubble level, and there's no good place to add one.

It's nice and quiet; the go-tos are pretty accurate; setup is (as latentfuss noted) pretty fast. It doesn't demand much power; my rather small power bank is enough to run it two nights in a row. I'm overall satisfied. Those caveats are just that -- caveats, not major drawbacks.

• jonee523 and ET_PhoneHome like this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

I have the mount too.

Find it a great mount. Tracks well, goto works if you follow the rules (allways clear all aligment data first-set your zero position every time, do a 3 star aligment, ,and do a sync to target as test) , then  the goto should work pretty well...

For visual a 6" sct or 100m refractor should be not issue. I do AP with my 102 mm on it, it works , however more sensitive for wind.

You have to learn it abit, meaning getting to know Ioptrons way of doing, and get familiar with the mount. Think first, act later...

But it has nice features,

I would opt for a 2" tripod.

I am starting guiding and the first real test was on my IEQ30 pro, worked pretty well...

• jonee523 and ET_PhoneHome like this

#6 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

I use an IEQ30pro with the 2” tripod for some quick visual and for imaging with my Spacecat 51. It’s a decent little mount.  For visual, I use an AP Traveler and it is a nice combo. My only complaint is the saddle is only vixen. I made a vixen to D-style converter which works fine, but does add a little weight. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics