•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baffled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 homerdt

homerdt

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Ok, I'm totally at a loss, last night I went out and got a crapload of frames with my new lens. Rokinon 14mm f2.8mated to my ZWOASI071MC Cooled, as I was going through my frame and focus routine I noticed that when I got good focus on the screen the focus ring showed that it wasn't on infinity. But I had good focus on the screen. Today I started processing and after stacking it showed on DSS a good image but when I opened it in photoshop This is what I got. I'm totally at a loss, TOTALLY.... Anybody?[attachment=1560963:Screenshot (1).jpg][attachment=1560965:milk.jpg][attachment=1560967:baffled.jpg]

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

Can't see the files.

#3 homerdt

homerdt

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Astoria, Oregon

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

Can't see the files.

Forget it, I think I figured it out. Can't figure out how to delete this post.

#4 RandomJoe

RandomJoe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

Do the stars radiate out in all directions from the center?  I had similar trouble using a Rokinon 16mm lens with my 1600mm, and after much searching of forums I believe it's down to the spacing.  The fast lenses are VERY sensitive, even a half-millimeter shim can make a big difference.  I never did get mine looking right, but I did find some other threads here with what seemed to be relevant info, including this one:

https://www.cloudyni...00mm/?p=9992621

Which includes two images showing what the stars do if your backfocus is too short or too long.  That thread is referring to a refractor with field flattener, but I believe it would also hold true for a camera lens?

One of these nights I'll finally give this a try again.  I need some more very thin shims though, I don't think I have what I need to get to the sweet spot.

• homerdt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics