•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are there zoom EPs for binoviewers that dont require the halpha solar scope to be adjusted?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:58 PM

So I'm new and learning a lot and researching lots of CN posts.

Another title for this post could have been what zoom EPs do you use with your halpha solar scope?

My limited current understanding is that it seems most zoom EPs aren't parfocal but the mm difference that creates the discrepancy is so small that most people dont notice the difference. Hence why some people say one pair of zooms is not parfocal while other say their's are parfocal.

I've only seen the orion pro lanthium zooms as explicitly marketed as parfocal. And saw it claimed on here that Leica and TV Nagler zoom EPs are also parfocal. While the Hyperion Baeder zooms are and arent for some people but technically are not.

And so with regard to halpha solar scopes i've seen others say that they have to continually readjust their halpha scope because it goes out of focus on the zoom EPs?

So what zoom EPs in binoviewers is everyone using for their halpha scopes?

Thanks. Clear skies.

Also bonus question, at what mag or focal length EP do you notice the image going soft? (State your apeture)

Edit: Found this thread
https://www.cloudyni...n-a-binoviewer/

Looks like the need to make adjustments is pretty common.

Edited by iseegeorgesstar, 10 August 2020 - 06:03 PM.

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

I use a vixen LVW 8-24 zoom with my Lunt 80 THa.  it is not parfocal, but almost.  when going from 24 down to about 16, it's good, then you need to make a tiny adjustment to get things sharp again.  it's very sharp when the sky permits, is not 'click-stop', doesn't rattle and is pretty compact.  I like it, but have never used any other zooms so can't say it's better or worse than others.  you definitely need to make an adjustment with large changes.  but they are indeed very small.

#3 iseegeorgesstar

iseegeorgesstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:06 PM

I use a vixen LVW 8-24 zoom with my Lunt 80 THa. it is not parfocal, but almost. when going from 24 down to about 16, it's good, then you need to make a tiny adjustment to get things sharp again. it's very sharp when the sky permits, is not 'click-stop', doesn't rattle and is pretty compact. I like it, but have never used any other zooms so can't say it's better or worse than others. you definitely need to make an adjustment with large changes. but they are indeed very small.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

I'm contemplating doing public views with halpha solar + binos + zoom EPs. So my hesitation is that the constant need to refocus is going to be a big problem with people who just want a smooth experience. Perhaps fixed focal length EPs on the bino might be the way to go for the public viewing route.

Not sure what i'll do for personal use. Minor refocus adjustments would probably be okay.

Edited by iseegeorgesstar, 10 August 2020 - 06:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics