•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX600 Goto Issues for about 2 years

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Spaldino

Spaldino

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bonsall, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:41 PM

I wanted to post this just in case anyone else has encountered issues with goto's on a Meade LX600.  I purchased this scope in May of 2018 from OPT as a replacement for the LX200GPS-SMT 10".  After installation and mounting on a fixed pier in my SKYPOD, I encountered multiple issues with accuracy in alignments and goto's.  After much debate, we decided to send it off to Meade (actually drive it to Meade) to have it looked at.  After having it for about a month, they decided it was a StarLock cable and sent me on my way.

After re-installation, we continued to have goto issues and just never felt like it was anywhere near what my LX200GPS in comparison to alignment and pointing.  At this point (July of 2018), I gave up and said I will deal with this later in the fall.  That never happened.

Fast forward two years later and we decided to dig in and solve this issue.  Without getting into a lot of detail, but with the help of OZAndrewJ and Dr. Clay it was determined that one of the gears on my RA drive had an extra tooth(61).  Both gears should have 60 as it has a 1:1 Ratio. This apparently is a rare occurrence, but in my opinion, there have to be more of these out there.  If you're having issues like mine, it might be worthwhile to take a peak at your gears in your RA drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• Snip20200810_6.jpg

Edited by Spaldino, 10 August 2020 - 06:07 PM.

• OzAndrewJ likes this

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Soyuz

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

Just for others

As Sal noted, this is exceptionally rare, ( I have now seen 2 in 15 years )

Normally, users note their gotos and tracking are off.

I suspect that with Starlock ON, even if gotos are off a bit, the error in the gears could

probably be covered up by Starlock guiding, thus hiding the true symptoms.

All in all it was an interesting investigation that proved that when nothing else fits,

the semi impossible is the cause :-)

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Spaldino likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics