•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with fixing C9.25

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:06 PM

I had a C9.25 in storage for a while and when I took it out I unfortunately noticed that a male cat had marked it on the side frown.gif This has caused the metal cover to corrode onto the OTA and have not been able to get it off yet.  There is also some bubbles under the paint of  the OTA itself above the metal ring holding the corrector plate.   I'm going to assume that there is also some damage (or at least cleaning necessary) of the front corrector plate.   What are my options to have this repaired?  I'm willing to do it myself if the parts are available.

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:26 PM

It's not clear you will need parts. Maybe you just need to take it apart and clean it. And if you want you could put the optics to one side, preferably where there is no cat, and take the optical tube to one of those places that paints motorcycles and let them restore the paint. If you're smart you'll have them paint the tube white. Of course the inside must remain flat black. I've included a link below on how to disassemble a C8.

Edited by gnowellsct, 10 August 2020 - 10:29 PM.

• MarkintheDark likes this

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:28 PM

https://astromart.co...sct-childs-play
  • miketheobscure and MarkintheDark like this

#4 Cpk133

Cpk133

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:11 PM

Cat wiss on a cat, can't make this stuff up.  Can't use the usual garage techniques of penetrating fluid and a torch.  You might try a hot hair dryer on the mid, working towards the periphery of the aluminum cover in an attempt to get the cap to thermally expand and break the bond to the housing.  I'd try that with a cold scope to maximize the effect while prying the cap with your fingers.  Post some pics.

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

Well curiosity well and truly will eventually kill that cat then exscuse the expression.its a little differcult to what to suggest exsactly as no pictures to see the true intent of the damage.however after reading your post sounds to me most probably more cosmetic than serious damage hopefully.the worse case scenario would be for you corrector plate damage and it just suprises me in this day and age it’s not off the shelf replacement part seems a little bit crazy to me especially due to the poor design when adjusting hex bolts or screws for collomation most probably been a few amateurs in the past scratched it or perhaps even dropped there scopes.and sourcing an preowned correcter plate cannot be an easy task I can imagine.

however the hardware side of things you should be a little easier to get hold of ie if the bolts have warn or corroded in any shape or form I’ve puchased thease on eBay for pennies.so touch wood it’s nothing major for you.yes definitely a strip down and a good clean through out will bring the scope back up to its former glory.the correcter plate housing and the OTA itself if it’s a little worse for ware personally I would consider getting it shot blasted or bead blasted.then contact a powder coater (spray paint) you might even be able to match up the original celestron classic orange colour.trust me this paint is really durable which an electric charge goes through the paint then baked in a oven it’s also very difficult to scratch due to its hard durable coatings.

Edited by Supernova74, 11 August 2020 - 03:48 PM.

#6 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the help.  I''ll see if I can get pictures.  I simply am having trouble getting the cover off which is my main concern at the moment.  Will try some methods mentioned above to get it off and report back.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics