Looking for advice on locating source(s) of electronic issue after startup of seldom used 1998 Meade lx200. Scope seldom used and I haven't turned it on over a year. Seldom used every year for about 19 years do to long working hours at job. Going to be 65 yrs old now and I just retired looking forward on lots of observing. I joined this group way to late as this is 1st issue I ever had with my scope. I was unaware of Meades power supply and cap issues !
Heres what happened. Hooked up power supply (the scepter 18 volt) ,H/C, and dec cable. Turned on power supply and then the "on"
switch on power panel. No lights, any thing, no sounds. The 1.5 amp slow blow inline fuse on the power supply blew. Try #2. I just replaced the fuse with the same exact one and figured why not. Same thing. Nothing. no lights even blinked on, no sound no smell. Try # 3. I happened to have another power cable for the power supply that felt the 1.5 amp fuse. Seemed like a dead short so I put in my last same fuse size/type and ....same. I was done.
Just out of curiosity I check the voltage on power supply and was at 22 volts !!!
Ok.. This is when I went looking for MAPUG which is great for anything Meade +. I finally found this site and never had a clue about the power supplies and caps.
Next-I purchased a 12 volt, 6 amp computer supply, some 6.8uf-50 volt electrolytic caps, and a cr2032 battery, a temp regulated soldering iron and more 1.5 and 2 amp slow blow fuses. I knew I had to at least attempt to change the power panel and hand controller caps. I pulled the power panel out and nothing looked or smelled fried. The 2 amp internal fuse tested good.
- I replaced the c1 cap in the front power panel and then the C2 in the hand controller.
- I hooked up the new 12 volt power supply (with my 1.5 amp inline fuse and turned the power supply on and then the front panel switch
on. The power on indicator light came on and 2 bars on the ammeter lit up.
-(Note, I always powered off before hooking up anything else to the power panel)
-Next I tried the hand controller cord only in the panel .(same lights on.) OK. I removed the cord then.
- Then the dec cord only. (same lights on ) OK. I removed cord.
- I plugged hand controller cord with hand controller attached. Turned power on. Same lights came on power panel and on the hand
"Meade" lit up along with the rest of the hand controller lights. It stayed on "Meade", no further.
- Installed the power panel back in the scope and reattached main board ribbon cable.
-I hooked up nothing to the power panel. I turned it "on". All the lights on the ammeter came on and where flashing on and off steady
about every second, they were much dimmer now. the power on light was also dimmer. The inline fuse then blew after about 15 seconds.
- I powered down and removed the front power panel again. The 2 amp fuse tested ok. I unhooked the ribbon cable again and plugged in only the hand controller. I powered it on again and the ammeter was back to two bright bars and the power on light back on.
- Also, should I ditch that 1.5 amp slow blow fuse ?
- So now I am wondering where I go from here.
- I am not an expert electronic guy by no means and do the best I can with it.
I would appreciate any do it yourself advice to at least locate the cause of this problem and go from there .
Thanks to anyone who can help out and appreciate anyones advice.