•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with Rigel nStep Focuser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baskevo

Baskevo

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:02 AM

Hi guys,

I am going to send an email to Leon, but I am assuming he won't get back to me tonight, so I thought I might see if anyone has a solution on here tonight...

I recently purchased a new computer, set everything up, and my focuser took a bit of finicking with (changing phase selections, messing with computer settings, etc.), but I got it to connect and respond to commands. It worked great the first few nights. I was having issues with PHD2 and APT the first night with the new computer (after exposure completed, PHD2 would say it is guiding but it wouldn't loop, and the guide graph stopped responding), but I reinstalled APT and messed with my settings some more, and got it all to work, including the focuser. I had a great night the second night, but my issues with my focuser started then.

When I set up the second night, the focuser wasn't responding. I had to mess with the settings again to get it to work (I don't remember exactly what I did). It only took me a few minutes, so I forgot about it. I brought everything inside, connected the camera, guide scope, focuser, and filter wheel, and everything appeared to be fine (but I didn't test the focuser). 

Tonight, I set everything back up, connected my camera, then my filter wheel, then my focuser. The focuser connected and I was getting temp. readings from it, but it was not responding to commands again! I tried messing with the phase select, the driver settings, the USB hub settings, power settings, etc. I made sure my usb devices weren't turning off because of low power, and I even re-installed the drivers and software--no go. 

Astrophotography Tool connects with the software, and I even get temperature readings. But for some reason, it will not respond to inward/outward commands.

The focuser is plugged into a USB hub, which also connects my ASI1600 (which acts as a hub for my filter wheel and guide camera) and my mount, and the USB hub plugs into the laptop. I use a 12w USB AC adapter to connect the power to my focuser.

Has anyone had this issue before?

#2 StephenW

StephenW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

The focuser also requires it's own separate power supply (in addition to being plugged in via USB).  Are you sure it's properly getting power from that power supply?

#3 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:08 PM

Usb powers the controller inside, but the 12v dc cable supplies the 12v dc that the controller sends to the stepper.

any mor questions ,send me an email rigelsys@cox.net

#4 Baskevo

Baskevo

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:40 PM

I have it connected to power. I am waiting on an email from Leon now.

#5 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:10 PM

I haven't received the e-mail yet :-| 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics