•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Typical celestron tech support response times

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:37 AM

Its been a little over a week sense i submitted a ticket to celestron support requesting an rma and i havnt received any response.  Is this typical?   This is for warranty work for what im assuming is a failed ra motor on my almost 3 month old 9.25 evolution.  It stopped working a couple days before i submitted the ticket.   Prior to submitting the ticket i tried for two days trying to get a hold of tech support via phone to no luck.  Lots of hours on hold to no avail.  I must say im disappointed in the lack of response.   

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:45 AM

I have never been to Bishop, but I have been to Independence. I loved hiking the PCT.

Your photographs are fantastic.

As far as Celestron goes.. I have no idea.

Keep up the good work,

Miguel   8-)

• Cfeastside likes this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:42 AM

Its been a little over a week sense i submitted a ticket to celestron support requesting an rma and i havnt received any response.  Is this typical?   This is for warranty work for what im assuming is a failed ra motor on my almost 3 month old 9.25 evolution.  It stopped working a couple days before i submitted the ticket.   Prior to submitting the ticket i tried for two days trying to get a hold of tech support via phone to no luck.  Lots of hours on hold to no avail.  I must say im disappointed in the lack of response.   

I would wait a bit longer- these are difficult times for everybody- it might be worth asking your dealer (if possible) to give Celestron a nudge but my experience is that their ticket system is ordered by your position in the queue and perhaps they are running on short staff due to the pandemic. I found their service to be reasonably good.

Edited by pyrasanth, 11 August 2020 - 03:42 AM.

• Cfeastside likes this

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:19 AM

My experience is that they respond in about 7 days. They might just email you with a simple yes/no question. I reply immediately and then wait another 7 days. Each time I would respond right away and then have to wait 7 days to hear something. It took me about 3 to 4 months to get my Evo fixed.

• Cfeastside likes this

#5 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

I have never been to Bishop, but I have been to Independence. I loved hiking the PCT.

Your photographs are fantastic.

As far as Celestron goes.. I have no idea.

Keep up the good work,

Miguel   8-)

Thanks!

#6 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:54 AM

My experience is that they respond in about 7 days. They might just email you with a simple yes/no question. I reply immediately and then wait another 7 days. Each time I would respond right away and then have to wait 7 days to hear something. It took me about 3 to 4 months to get my Evo fixed.

Oh boy thats not cool.  I guess i figured a large company like celestron this would be a simple thing like most big companies.  

#7 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

I waited a week after submitting an online ticket request.  Then I called and hit the "return call" option.

Celestron support phoned about 24 hours later.  The tech person found my online request and issued a return RMA while we were on the phone.

#8 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:01 AM

Tried leaving my phone number for call back but system didnt take.  Just kept asking to enter number and hit #.  ?????  Ill try that again today

#9 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

Yes, even before virus , response time was a bit slow.

but they do eventually respond and are good about repairs. 
the way astronomy equipment is selling right now, they are probably buried in work.

unfortunately you just have to be patient.

take care

• Cfeastside likes this

#10 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:53 AM

Was able to leave my phone this time. Woohoo!   They mustve been sysrem full last week when i tried to do that. LOL

#11 p85dl

p85dl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:31 AM

CS going down everywhere, it has nothing to do with any covids....Started long time ago...Most of the companies adopt sell and forget tactic.

• Session9 and gdmercad like this

#12 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

Wow. Now that's a lesson in patience if I ever saw one! 

#13 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

Woohoo.  Got a call back a bit ago and got the rma and shipping label.  Now to package it up and ship it

• pyrasanth and Terrybythe sea like this

#14 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:10 AM

Oh boy thats not cool.  I guess i figured a large company like celestron this would be a simple thing like most big companies.  

Just a bit of perspective - Celestron, the office operation, is not a big company.  Their ability to manufacture more telescopes than any other astro gear outfit is due to their factories in China.  My take from visits and discussions is they prioritize numbers of personnel in this order: manufacturing, engineering (hardware and software), tech support, repair techs, management/admin/marketing.  Tech support and repair are right-sized for reasonable turnaround (in my view) and I'm happy engineering is so high on the list.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• Cfeastside likes this

#15 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:47 PM

7 to 10 days is not unusual. Once you get the attention of a tech and start a conversation they usually respond a bit quicker.
  • Cfeastside likes this

#16 IG-88

IG-88

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:44 PM

Hi, new here, but wanted to share my support experience for the statistics. A board burned up in my 8SE mount. And to echo what has been said it did take a while for Celestron support to initially make contact with me after submitting the ticket online - about 10 days. They provided an RMA number and the equipment they wanted me to ship. In my case the wanted my mount, Starsense and original hand controller. Shipping from the south east to CA took about a week. But once Celestron received my shipment the communication was definitely better. A tech responded they received it and the next day they had identified and fixed the problem. They shipped it back to me that day, so another week to get back to me.

So the whole process, for me, took about 27 days. Overall I'm pleased with the response. Celestron support were very professional and once they get a hold of your case they see it through, communicating all the way. Of course we all don't like it taking that long when the big planets are up but I'm sure lock downs, staffing challenges, and hardware supplies running thin are playing a huge part in the resolution time. I give em a thumbs up.
  • Cfeastside likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics