•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is Planewave worth it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PABresler

PABresler

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Osos, Ca

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:08 AM

I am considering upgrading my Celestron Edge 11 inch to a Planewave CDK 12.5. Motivating factors are backfocus issues using an OAG with the Edge, no mirror flop (although I lock the mirror with use of an Optec focuser), higher quality and larger image size. The focal lengths and ratios for the two scope are similar, especially with the focal reducer on the Edge. I also would be looking at getting a large format camera for the Planewave, The upgrade is affordable for me, but is it worth it?

Peter

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:38 AM

I would say yes as you sweep away in one hit a lot of the mechanical issues which are inherent with the Celestron telescopes. It would also be worth your time to look at AG optical as AG does a great job at producing very fine telescopes. I'm looking at replacing my 14 Edge HD with a 14.5 AG optical system as I'm somewhat restricted with the limited back focus of the 14" Edge especially as I would like a rotator with the ONAG- the Edge 14" does not have enough back focus for that equipment combination.

There are no real problems with the Edge optics but with either upgrade you will get a better illuminated field due to the very large secondary mirrors which won't detract from deep sky but will impact fine detail for planetary work.

Edited by pyrasanth, 11 August 2020 - 03:39 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#3 PABresler

PABresler

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the advice! A used Planewave CDK 12.5 is in sight.

Peter

Edited by PABresler, 11 August 2020 - 11:12 AM.

#4 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

Fwiw - the Univ of North Georgia is finishing up the rebuild of its observatory a few miles from its campus in Dahlonega, GA. It will house two Planewave scopes, a 0.6 m for professional, student, and public use, and a 0.7 m strictly for professional use. Both are CDK designs.
I live about 45 minutes from there (and taught Astronomy there as an adjunct a while back). I’m eager for an opportunity to see the new building and new scopes.
  • psandelle likes this

#5 PABresler

PABresler

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

0.6 m is a lot bigger than 12.5 inches (about 0.4 m), but good to know!

Peter

#6 palaback

palaback

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:22 PM

I am considering this upgrade too. Big reduction of prices on new Planewaves in past month. Ca 20%. The cdk14 looks pretty sweet with truss tube, and basically the same weight as 12.5. I have seen some used with good deals too.  My thought is if you are going to upgrade you might as well get significantly more aperature.  The 17 is almost twice as much as the 14 when you consider mount so is in a whole different class.

#7 PABresler

PABresler

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

The 12.5 is in the bag for me. It will be here in a few days. I am exploring what I will need for guiding.

Peter

• psandelle likes this

#8 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:44 AM

Congrats. Excellent scope!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics