•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Effect of Covid-19 airplanes grounding on astro frames?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:38 AM

Over about 6 weeks I could not see a single airliner over the whole sky during the heaviest phase - up to now - of the Covid-19 Lockdown. And even many weeks after this phase, there are still noticably fewer airliners visible.

Concerning astrophotography, stacking of many frames removes the airplane position light chains in affected frames. But I am wondering about this: can you quantify the rough number or percentage of frames which are totaly unaffected by airplanes during these Corona-times compared to pre-Corona-times? Do you even need less frames than usual to stack to get rid of unwanted stuff in the frames?

#2 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:06 AM

There is no need to calculate that having Starlink.

#3 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

No need, sure. But airplanes are a factor with the same effect and I'd like to know about this specific factor which is extremely influenced by Corona.

#4 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:11 PM

Starlink has been 0 issues for me.  The frames get cleaned up with PI integration. Airplanes on the other hand will destroy an entire sub unless you do some further processing and yes, with reduced traffic not only do i have NO airplanes in any of my subs, but i don't have their upper atmosphere clouds and ice trails to worry about.

Edited by sn2006gy, 11 August 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#5 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:45 PM

Interesting, I didn't think of the long lasting airplane trails. How long do they usually last at some place?
Are those trails probably more affecting frames than a plane's position lights because they can affect even frames minutes later?

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

I image in a zone between 3 airports. No way to tell how covid impacted this for me. They always average out and thats what matters to me.

Now light pollution did decrease back in march. I remember my nightmy sqm being as high as 20.6 in my backyard its typically 20.3-20.4

#7 sbsbbugsy

sbsbbugsy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

Passenger traffic is down about 80% from this time last year. Cargo traffic is down about 30% from last year.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

I live under the approach path to our local airport.  Only a problem for me if I image at the zenith, and they get rejected by integration anyway... but I can say that in the evening I used to have an airplane pass over every few minutes.  Now when an airplane flies over... I notice!  Which is weird in itself. 

#9 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

I do see the fog trails/ice trails in photos when airplanes fly really high. I'm not near any approach so they're always real high.

With traffic down, they will calibrate out.

Prior to covid, if i was imaging on the north western skies i'm guessing a VOR route is out that way and i'd have so many contrails to shoot through it would greatly soften the image.

My night skies would look like this in normal flying days...

contrails

#10 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

We live in central Seattle, right along the north flight path to Seatac. I can tell that air traffic is down because I just hear fewer planes. However I don't know if there has been any impact on my images. Plane trails calibrate out anyway.

#11 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Michigan

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

I have not seen any difference as with others, they calibrate out. Starlink is still batting 0% for ruining an image for me. Suppose it would be neat to do a intergration with and without rejection to show how effective modern stacking is.

#12 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:25 PM

Starlink should have very little effect on our imaging. It will severely impact the LSST telescope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics