•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will this Flattener Work?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 venyix

venyix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:44 AM

I recently purchased this bad boy...

https://www.bhphotov...tml/accessories

However, I noticed some post stating that the blurring on the edges might be pretty bad in a crop sensor. So I'm looking for a flattener, but as I'm kind of new to all of this, I don't know what will work and if it will give me the results I'm looking for. This is the only flattener I can find (that is in stock) that might work for it, but I'm unsure. Any advice would really be appreciated, and also any general tips would be great. For now my plan is to plop this onto my star adventurer and take some images. However, with the slow speed of the refractor, the flattener would help. Currently I'm using a Meade 102mm without a flattener, and the images are...disappointing.

Here is the flattener in question...

https://www.telescop...field flattener

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

Optical design is sophisticated.  That flattener was designed for a specific 80mm F7.5 lens.  It might work for your scope, might not.  Playing with spacing might help.

At F6.5 that cheap lens is not likely to do well, speeding it up is not likely to help.

But your real problem is that scope on that mount.  The mount is very inadequate.  There are three important things in astrophotography.

The mount, the mount, and the mount.

For the 102 I'd want at least a Sirius (HEQ5) or an iOptron 30PRO.  All about $1200.  The StarAdventurer is mostly good for a short camera lens, not to exceed 200mm.  That's what it was designed for.

Edited by bobzeq25, 11 August 2020 - 11:38 AM.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#3 venyix

venyix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:29 PM

Optical design is sophisticated.  That flattener was designed for a specific 80mm F7.5 lens.  It might work for your scope, might not.  Playing with spacing might help.

At F6.5 that cheap lens is not likely to do well, speeding it up is not likely to help.

But your real problem is that scope on that mount.  The mount is very inadequate.  There are three important things in astrophotography.

The mount, the mount, and the mount.

For the 102 I'd want at least a Sirius (HEQ5) or an iOptron 30PRO.  All about $1200.  The StarAdventurer is mostly good for a short camera lens, not to exceed 200mm.  That's what it was designed for.

I think I misled you on the question, the field flattener would be for the Explore Scientific 80mm ED I just bought, not the 102.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:48 PM

I recently purchased this bad boy...

Get this... if you can return the bad boy; no flatter required. Regards

#5 venyix

venyix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:37 PM

Get this... if you can return the bad boy; no flatter required. Regards

That look quite expensive, I paid about 800 for this 80mm, is there something wrong with it?

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

Are you autoguiding with the Star Adventurer? You won't get much tracking time without it. You can use that on the Star Adventurer but you'll need to autoguide and be balanced on RA and DEC. Why not write to ES and ask what is a suitable corrector for their scope?

Edited by vidrazor, 12 August 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

Why not get and explore sci flattener?

#8 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:45 PM

That look quite expensive, I paid about 800 for this 80mm, is there something wrong with it?

Not really, RedCat is $750. All I am saying is why put up with a flattener when you can get by without it. It is other components that add to $, not the scope. Regards

#9 venyix

venyix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:53 PM

Are you autoguiding with the Star Adventurer? You won't get much tracking time without it. You can use that on the Star Adventurer but you'll need to autoguide and be balanced on RA and DEC. Why not write to ES and ask what is a suitable corrector for their scope?

I actually just bought a sky watcher EQ6 R Pro, I mounted the 80mm on it, but I’m getting quite a bit of curve.

Why not get and explore sci flattener?

They are back ordered for months now, that’s why I’m trying to find another workable option.

Not really, RedCat is $750. All I am saying is why put up with a flattener when you can get by without it. It is other components that add to $, not the scope. Regards

Redcat seems to be sold out everywhere as well.

#10 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:05 PM

I actually just bought a sky watcher EQ6 R Pro, I mounted the 80mm on it, but I’m getting quite a bit of curve.

They are back ordered for months now, that’s why I’m trying to find another workable option.

Redcat seems to be sold out everywhere as well.

You'll still need to autoguide with the EQ6 if you haven't yet.

EVERYTHING is out of stock right now.

The Redcat is a rather limited optic, I would stick with what you have and get both reducer and non-reducer flatteners. Much more versatile.

Edited by vidrazor, 18 August 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#11 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

RedCat seems to be sold out everywhere as well.

Don't worry about that; go and directly chat with WO and you should be able to pay and buy. Their shipments are prompt. Given overseas location, use nighttime in the US for quick chat response. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 06:39 PM.

#12 venyix

venyix

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

Don't worry about that; go and directly chat with WO and you should be able to pay and buy. Their shipments are prompt. Given overseas location, use nighttime in the US for quick chat response. Regards

Wish I would have known that earlier, but I do like the ExploreScientific Triplet. It takes some good shots, I just need a flattener. Since I just bought it and the EQ6R-PRO, it will probably be a minute before I buy something else.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics