•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Straylight scattering and mirror polishing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:04 AM

When reading about straylight affecting optical systems, I read that refracting systems are much better than reflecting systems, because in the latter straylight bounced back and forth between the mirrors creating kind of a straylight fog leading to a brighter picture once all those rays reach the focus - this is the picture in my mind of the process.

Here is a good paper about the straylight reduction effects from baffling improvements:

http://articles.adsa...A&AS..116..367G

In one of the Dragonfly Telephoto Array articles I read the statement concerning lens and mirror systems.

Ok, you build a Cassegrain-like telescope with two mirrors and a whole in the primary mirror; like in the link.

And you can only polish or have only one of both mirrors extraordinarily smoothly polished.

Which mirror would you want to have a smoother surface causing less scattered light, the large primary or the smaller secondary mirror?

• RobertMaples likes this

#2 Benach

Benach

Vanguard

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

Secondary mirror should be smoother. Scatter is basically a shape error of the mirror. The secondary mirror magnifies the shape error of the primary mirror whereas the primary mirror does not magnify the errors of the secondary mirror.

#3 msheald

msheald

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

Hello! I've heard that the secondary should be twice as smooth as the primary in order to keep the primaries error at the visual or photographic plane.

So, for a 1/4 wave primary, the secondary should be 1/8 wave. Best regards.

Mike

#4 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

Does this depend on the secondary's magnification factor of is this general?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics