•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars sketch 11 aug

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

Seeing was less good than last friday, but still very decent to good with mars at 43° high. Solis Lacus would be in plain view and following my mix up of last observation where I took Mare Sirenum for Solis Lacus I was curious to see the real eye.

I'm amazed how low contrast Mars is right now, whereas I used to instantly see the major features I now really have to look hard to see them. 

Is there, or has there been a dust storm recently because I haven't been following anything on Mars lately? Or maybe dust deposited from previous opposition's storms?

Anyway the central eye looks less dark than the surrounding parts of the ring to me. 

The disk looked split in two with a darker top half and brighter bottom half. within the darker south hemisphere Argyre at 11 o clock and Chryse (in the North) looked like brighter patches of dessert, and also Tharsis was a bit brighter than it's immediate surroundings. 

I *think* I saw the polar cap as a bit irregular in shape,  but no detachments or anything.

raw picture taken with phone, no post editing.

Even though seeing was less than last time I already felt able to eek out more detail with this second observation, looking forward to the syrtis major side!

gallery_5255_3710_97525.jpg

• Special Ed, Magellanico, frank5817 and 18 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

You may be interested in this image taken 29 mins before your sketch, at 0251UT,  from the UK. I have applied a little gamma stretch to bring up the disk in the first one as I dont like to saturate the ice caps.

2020-08-11-0251_2-NJH-Lum_AS_P9_lapl6_ap29 quickregi gamma.jpg

2020-08-11-0251_2-NJH-Lum_AS_P9_lapl6_ap29 quickregi.jpg

I agree that the contrast was low visually. I suppose its not the most contrasty side of Mars, though I love the volcanoes of Tharsis.

Edited by happylimpet, 11 August 2020 - 07:43 AM.

• steve t and niteskystargazer like this

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

Kris,

This is a very fine sketch. With decent seeing as you have done here with your sketch, it is possible to eek out detail.

Frank :)

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

Kris,

Very nice Mars sketch (On 11 Aug) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:30 PM

Kris,

Very nice, detailed sketch.  smile.gif   I think there is a fair amount of dust in the air because of some earlier local dust storms.  Also, there is a fair amount of clouds and haze present from the sublimation of the SPC.  All of this is affecting the contrast.

In addition to that, I think the big dust storm in 2018 affected the appearance of the Solis Lacus region to a degree.  I've read some reports to that effect.  I haven't seen Solis Lacus yet this year myself but it's coming around for me soon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics