•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR adapter for a 90deg binoscope?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zerodur

zerodur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hawaii

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:49 AM

Does anyone have experience taking photos through a binocular telescope with a DSLR?

I only want an occasional shot of the moon, figure it can't be worse than holding an iPhone to a Pentax XW5. I already have the scope, and my Nikon D700 (full-frame) is gathering dust. I have a 200mm f/2.8 lens so I have an idea of what various objects look like through that lens, but I have no idea what things look like through the binoscope (70mm, 90deg APM ED APO, fl=400mm) or whether/how it would come into focus at all. Ignoring stuff like edge brightness or field-flatness, would the moon be recognizable at all through the camera?

I know the first advice to newcomers for astrophotography is always "don't", hence I post this here instead of over "there". I enjoy two-eye viewing too much; can't justify an astrograph just for a snapshot... (also saving for a swaro NL grin.gif ).

• ianatcn likes this

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

I would think that to reach focus, the camera sensor needs to be where the eyepiece fieldstop normally is.

Sounds like you'd need a barlow or relay lens or such.

I think you can do worse than holding an iPhone to an eyepiece.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:17 AM

With a binoscope that comprises proximate prisms just before the focal plane, there is no practical way to get a negative amplifying relay (aka Barlow lens) down in there. That leaves the option as a positive relay. Note that looking through an eyepiece with a iPhone is a positive afocal relay, where the combination of eyepiece + integral iPhone lens, in combination, define that compressive positive relay. The iPhone array is miniscule; your DSLR array is comparatively huge. To shoot the moon through your APM binoscope, you will need to use an appropriate eyepiece afocally with a lens on your DSLR. For your full-frame to avail the full-field of your binoscope, I would recommend an eyepiece that presents a 50o AFOV and a ~25mm lens on the full-frame DSLR. You will need to have enough eye-relief on that eyepiece to be able to place the entrance pupil of the DSLR lens there, at the exit pupil of the eyepiece. Try that as a starting point.

I've done that, and it works well. I can work out the details; that's what you should do. If you do the computations ahead of time, that eliminates all the fiddling around at the scope. Ummm... really should buy or (more likely build) a mechanical coupler/adapter twixt camera lens and eyepiece. That way you just slide that whole thing into the bino for taking pictures.

NOTE: It is especially useful if your DSLR parked there does not block access to the other eyepiece. That way, you can use the other side as a 1x viewer/finder... so what you see there is what you are capturing with the camera... no surprises.    Tom

Edited by TOMDEY, 11 August 2020 - 08:18 AM.

• ianatcn and zerodur like this

#4 zerodur

zerodur

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hawaii

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:52 AM

Thanks Tom. It sounds like it's a bit more involved than getting a random M42-1.25" T-ring off some online store. Also got some reading to do ("positive/negative relay"). I have not operated a refractor or used a barlow lens before. You mentioning using an eyepiece + DSLR lens does remind me of that post, though I couldn't find an adapter from that XW (43mm, pitch unknown?) thread to anything other than Pentax' own system (the closest I have is a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 with 52mm thread). Guess I have to settle with "live viewing only" for now.

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:45 AM

Some Baader eyepieces are known for having a T2 thread at the eyecup side.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics