•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT10i or Better option?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

I ordered an Orion XT10i from Highpoint in May for $899 free shipping but it's still backordered (indefinitely).

I am wondering if I could get more aperture for the same price, but without the push-to computer.  I can make setting circles, or buy the intelliscope controller with encoders later.

I do not want a 12" solid tube though ... thats no fun to move.  Anything 12" and over needs to be a truss design.

I've searched and just haven't found anything better than the XT10i for the price.

So, I figured I'd ask here just in case.

Right now I am sitting patiently on my order.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Tom Stock, 11 August 2020 - 06:32 PM.

#2 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:48 PM

For a 10" solid tube, I find an ES Firstlight excellent. 

#3 Tangerman

Tangerman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

A quick look at Astronomics gives me this for $999 https://www.astronom...-dobsonian.html

• stargazer32864 likes this

#4 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

and its out of stock too.

#5 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:58 PM

A quick look at Astronomics gives me this for $999 https://www.astronom...-dobsonian.html

I've enjoyed my 12" LightBridge and been pleased with its performance.  I am happy to  recommend it.

#6 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

Have you tried the used market?  Cloudy Nights Classifieds, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist?  

#7 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

The encoders for the intelliscopes are, as far as I know, unique in the hobby. They are Hall-Effect sensor based. It's an old tech that was used in 80's auto ignition systems. It works but the sensors don't output a signal that more modern control computers will recognize. And modern sensor outputs won't be seen by the intelliscope computer. So adding an intelliscope system to another scope might be a problem since the sensor relies on masses in the XTi or XXi rotating boss to trigger it. It's a fine system on the scope it comes with. And the XT10i is a very nice scope.

So is the ES Firstlight solid tube and you can pretty easily add encoders and DSC's.

#8 Jim45157

Jim45157

Sputnik

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

i got a new 12 meade light bridge  4 years back optics were not good at all   thats all i will say

#9 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:52 PM

Ouch.  One site says expected shipping date 10/13/20.  jd

#10 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:22 AM

Ouch

#11 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:49 AM

While I'd like to be sympathetic, I cut the deposit check for my Teeter on 8/06/2019 and delivery is expected, subject to complications interfering, some time in the next 5 or 6 weeks. Probably. I hope that patience is a virtue as I have so few of them.

Edited by havasman, 12 August 2020 - 07:50 AM.

• cuzimthedad likes this

#12 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:12 AM

While I'd like to be sympathetic, I cut the deposit check for my Teeter on 8/06/2019 and delivery is expected, subject to complications interfering, some time in the next 5 or 6 weeks. Probably. I hope that patience is a virtue as I have so few of them.

Thats quite a wait.  In my case its too humid now anyway so the wait is not so difficult.  My other scope would not come out until Oct anyway!

• havasman likes this

#13 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:26 PM

Thats quite a wait.  In my case its too humid now anyway so the wait is not so difficult.  My other scope would not come out until Oct anyway!

Yes, but there are few makers of both bespoke mirrors and scopes and the demand has remained steady. So if you really want that specific scope from that guy, the wait is just part of the deal.

I hope your new scope is great for you, whatever and whenever you get.

#14 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:09 PM

Tom,

Premium scopes like Teeter’s are made to order and the wait time for a premium mirror also slows things down.  It’s worth the wait IMHO.  Another option is to buy used, whether for an XT10i or something else.  I’ve bought most of my scopes that way, and have had very good luck with that.  The money you save could go towards eyepieces, etc.

• cuzimthedad likes this

#15 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:04 PM

Looks like one of these are in stock:

https://www.astronom...eration-ii.html

It's just $50 more than the XT10i, but more compact for storage and travel, slightly longer FL (1270 vs 1200), 2 speed focuser, larger alt bearings, lower cog, but no object locator. You might discover that finding things yourself is fun and you get better at it quickly, while learning more about the night sky. If I had one, I would just keep it assembled inside the house and carry it out back in 2 pieces.

#16 mac57

mac57

Viking 1

• Loc: DeLand of Oz, Florida

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

For a newbie, I would say wait for the 10i.  But I know that waiting is sometimes not an option.  Mark

#17 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

Thanks this isn't my first scope... I have been into astro for 25 years.  I am currently using a C8 on GEM but wanted the 10" XTi for quicker setup for visual use as I have lost imterest in imaging..  The intelliscope would be handy for AAVSO observations.  The ES10 looks great but for a 10" I think I'd rather have a solid tube rather than mess with trusses.  I've owned a 10" dob (actually it was my very first scope) and thr size is easily manageable.  For a 12" though I would definately go with trusses.

#18 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:05 PM

Thanks this isn't my first scope... I have been into astro for 25 years.  I am currently using a C8 on GEM but wanted the 10" XTi for quicker setup for visual use as I have lost imterest in imaging..  The intelliscope would be handy for AAVSO observations.  The ES10 looks great but for a 10" I think I'd rather have a solid tube rather than mess with trusses.  I've owned a 10" dob (actually it was my very first scope) and thr size is easily manageable.  For a 12" though I would definately go with trusses.

My main scope is an 18”.  It’s a wonderful scope but it sure isn’t conducive to quick setups.  My 10XTi is ready to go in my backyard in 5-10 minutes.  It’s great for quick peeks on worknights.  For me, a 10” solid tube is very easy to handle and I wouldn’t want to mess with trusses either at that size.  On the other hand, 12” and above in a solid tube is about as wieldy as a water heater.  grin.gif

Edited by turtle86, 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM.

#19 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

Tom, I have the XT10i 

I really like it, easy to move, and set up, and it puts up great views.

The view will be 'contrastier' if you add some flocking.

I found the interior paint used by Orion isn't as flat or dark as it should be.   

Also it is easy to switch the hand control 'thing' over to tablet control. 

That is so much fun.   It makes observing like a video game.

Just drop the scope icon over an object in sky safari, and you have it in the scope !   

The tablet control makes it just as fast as a go-to.  Totally love it.  

The wait time sounds really tough.   A little over a year ago when I got mine....

it was from Amazon and arrived in 4 days.   Astronomy supply chains seem

quite bogged down.   

Lauren

Edited by Sky_LO, 14 August 2020 - 09:16 AM.

• Tom Stock likes this

#20 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Tom, I have the XT10i 

I really like it, easy to move, and set up, and it puts up great views.

The view will be 'contrastier' if you add some flocking.

I found the interior paint used by Orion isn't as flat or dark as it should be.   

Also it is easy to switch the hand control 'thing' over to tablet control. 

That is so much fun.   It makes observing like a video game.

Just drop the scope icon over an object in sky safari, and you have it in the scope !   

The tablet control makes it just as fast as a go-to.  Totally love it.  

The wait time sounds really tough.   A little over a year ago when I got mine....

it was from Amazon and arrived in 4 days.   Astronomy supply chains seem

quite bogged down.   

Lauren

Thanks Lauren.

I did pick up an ipad mini for Sky Safari.

Will be building an equatorial platform also.

#21 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Fitchburg, Wisconsin

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

I'm an XT10i evangelist.   When my first one fell apart after 10 great years (too many dewy nights for the baseboard), I had budget to spend more money, but ended up with... a new XT10i.   The form factor is just great for me, decent quality and with good eyepieces it delivers some terrific views.

If you're looking at Sky Safari, consider getting an Intellifi- you can read my review here:

https://www.cloudyni...-intelliscopes/

Also, if you go with an EQ platform, I found a great trick to let you use the controller and/or sky safari without shutting off the clock.   Reset the platform to the beginning for each object you want to view, then just use the controller with the clock enabled.

HTH

• Tom Stock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics