•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

After the cataract surgery

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hboswell

hboswell

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi, USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:46 PM

Last week I had cataract surgery and was on lifting and bending restrictions which curtailed much of what I do around the house. Then one evening I pulled out binoculars to try out my new eye on the night skies, but Janet said I might infect my eye using eyepieces such as those on telescopes and binoculars (she was concerned that there might be bacteria on the lens) so I put them away. But, today I had my follow-up visit with the doc and he says I’m all better and wrote a note to Janet to make sure she releases me too!

post-74424-0-90511700-1597189586_thumb.jpg

BTW - the surgery went great, at my checkup today I had 20/15 vision - WOOTY WOOT WOOT!

Harry

• king1522, rowdy388, Mike G. and 8 others like this

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:56 PM

Congrats.

#3 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:21 PM

Your going to love your new eyes.  Mine are just over a year an a half old and I'm still pinching myself.

jd

#4 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

Congrats!

What was your vision like prior?

#5 John Carlini

John Carlini

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Fantastic! I'd love to hear how the new eyes are at night. More color?

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

Ooh, you missed a chance.  “You’re right, darling.  I shouldn’t use the old ones.  I will order new sterile optics so I don’t get any eye infections”

Glad it went well!

Dave

• king1522, Loren Gibson, stargazer193857 and 4 others like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:23 AM

You can disinfect your eyepieces the way eye doctors do theirs, by just wiping with an alcohol swab.  (Think about it -- the doctor has to look through eyepieces constantly, and people with all kinds of eye diseases have been within a few inches of them...)

I haven't had cataract surgery yet, but my wife has, and she says one of the best things about it is that the blue sensitivity of her eye has returned to what it was in her childhood.  Being old is like having a pale yellow or orange filter on each eye.  The cataract surgery corrects that.

• William Whitaker likes this

#8 BPoletti

BPoletti

Explorer 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:20 AM

Just use the post-op prescription eye drops.  That will keep your eyes from getting infected.  And take it easy.  Those cataracts were broken up with a laser to remove.  A stray laser hit on the retinal might take a little longer to heal than the rest of your eye.  Let your eyes, your retinas completely recover for a few weeks.  The stars aren't going anywhere.

I've had cataract surgery and retinal surgery (for multiple detachments) in both eyes.  Take your time.  It won't hurt to take time to recover, but it might if you don't give it enough time.  Retina surgery is a poke in the eye will a few sharp sticks.  And you're fully awake for the surgery.  Trust me.  You don't want to go through that.        

From one who didn't take enough time.  

Hopes for your full recovery.

Bill

#9 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

I am a couple of months into my "new" eyes... HOLY SMOKE... I had no idea how bad my eyes had gotten and in such a short time... I went from an exam 2 years ago no issues, to an exam at the front end of this year and "You have cataracts in both eyes and will require surgery for removal and implanted lenses to restore sight"...

Before the exam, I thought something was wrong with my scope (it was a brand new SW120 ED)... I wondered why I could only see down to around 9th mag with a scope that should get me down to at least 12th mag...

Do everything the eye surgeon tells you to do... mine took VERY good care of me and now my vision is better than it ever has been (except I need reading glasses now, where before, I didn't... and she told me to expect this...). My distance vision is spot on now, and I couldn't be happier...

Clear skies and eyes!

CB

• Michael Covington likes this

#10 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Messenger

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:29 AM

Last week I had cataract surgery and was on lifting and bending restrictions which curtailed much of what I do around the house. Then one evening I pulled out binoculars to try out my new eye on the night skies, but Janet said I might infect my eye using eyepieces such as those on telescopes and binoculars (she was concerned that there might be bacteria on the lens) so I put them away. But, today I had my follow-up visit with the doc and he says I’m all better and wrote a note to Janet to make sure she releases me too!

BTW - the surgery went great, at my checkup today I had 20/15 vision - WOOTY WOOT WOOT!

Harry

Hopefully she won't accuse you of forging the note...

• SeaBee1 likes this

#11 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:38 PM

I had both my eyes done in July.  Stars are point objects now instead of fuzzy patches. Before surgery, I 

couldn't split Polaris with my 70mm finder scope. Now I can. Even better, I don't need eyeglasses except

readers. I'm looking forward to using my longer focal length eyepieces more often as well.

#12 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:29 PM

Me, too. Right eye in June. My eyes have never been better. Distant vision is excellent, but use readers to use the computer (now) or the phone. Looking forward to getting the left done soon so as to have a matched pair!

Edited by William Whitaker, 12 August 2020 - 10:30 PM.

#13 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

What you might really notice is the change in the colour of the stars. Now you will see them more truly. Before my wife had her cataracts done I kept pointing out to her that she’ll notice how everything used to have a yellow-brown tinge to it. After she had the first one done she said she didn’t notice any difference. Then I told her to close the eye that hadn’t been done. She was shocked.

Bill

#14 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:24 AM

A note from your Doctor saying it's OK to use your binoculars and telescopes to look at the Stars. I love it!cool.gif  - If I had one, I'd frame it and put it on my wall. That's a noble prescription. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics