•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starbound Chair Dumps People?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:57 PM

I have recently purchased a Starbound chair. I love using it with both my Dob and especially my Refractor. When I was researching the chair I saw many reviews and posts talking about how the chair dumps/drops them while they are seated, taking a seat, or getting up from sitting.

I have tried and tried to get it to drop me. Specifically lifting the seat while trying to apply seated pressure. I have tried keeping the seat lifted while taking a seat, I've tried pulling and yanking and twisting and turning, tucking my legs under while standing from a seated position, timing the lifting and sitting motion as inappropriately for safe use as possible and I cannot get the chair to drop while I'm seated, taking a seat, or standing from sitting. I read some product reviews on websites saying the new chair was less easy to lift and reposition height than the reviewer's old chair.

I have many times read that this chair can dump it's user. So if anyone has recently purchased a Starbound to replace an older one, maybe you can confirm if they tightened up the quick adjustment feature to correct this issue.

It is an absolutely fantastic, lightweight, and essential accessory for me that comes with the caveat of potentially being risky for the user. If they have modified the chair to correct this I'd like it to be on the record. As far as my opinion goes, it does not seem likely to drop me to the ground ever and I regard the Starbound chair as very safe for anyone to use.

Edited by SciGlass, 11 August 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• Starman81 likes this

#2 Napp

Napp

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

I got mine over four years ago used and never been dumped.  I've had the seat drop when I picked it up by the handle.  I think that is because the seat is designed to "lock" into place when there is weight on the seat and without weight there it can slip if the tensioning screws aren't tight enough.  I am guessing that is where the stories come from.

Edited by Napp, 11 August 2020 - 07:08 PM.

• SciGlass likes this

#3 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

I had one for a while. Never had a single instance where the seat slipped on me.

• SciGlass likes this

#4 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:17 PM

People have a tendency to pull the chair closer to them while sitting by grabbing the front and pulling forward.  That can loosen the tension and cause them to fall while sitting.  I let people know NOT to grab it by the front, telling them that it will fall if they do.

I am used to it so I use that to my advantage.  I can adjust the height with one hand while hovering over it.  It's not a design flaw but rather a feature: you just don't stick the pointy end of a knife in your belly and then complain about it.

• havasman, JedF and SciGlass like this

#5 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:24 PM

So, when the StarBound chair dumps people, does it then become the EarthBound chair?

Asking for a friend.

• Starman81, sevenofnine, BradFran and 6 others like this

#6 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

Yes

#7 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

Its more of a weight issue. The thick little rubber sleeves get deformed from weight and eventually lose their ability to generate enough friction to hold the seat part in position. The higher the weight of the person the quicker they deform. That is why the Stardust chair from Hands On Optics got a Hot Product award from S&T because it had separate rungs between the tubes instead of air and hooks to keep the seat in place. Not to mention a 50# greater weight capacity. I will mentioned I worked there for several years and owned a few different seats and I weighed about 220 lbs in those days. I owned a Starbound chair for a number of years and while it did not happen to me as I was careful I did see it happen a couple of times at star parties. If you weight under 150# you may not ever see it happen.

• SciGlass likes this

#8 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

I found that I need to be careful if I try to adjust it while seated. Not a good idea. I also added a bungee cord to hold the seat near the top when it is in storage or being transported. I do luvs this observing chair!
  • SciGlass likes this

#9 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

Its more of a weight issue. The thick little rubber sleeves get deformed from weight and eventually lose their ability to generate enough friction to hold the seat part in position. The higher the weight of the person the quicker they deform. That is why the Stardust chair from Hands On Optics got a Hot Product award from S&T because it had separate rungs between the tubes instead of air and hooks to keep the seat in place. Not to mention a 50# greater weight capacity. I will mentioned I worked there for several years and owned a few different seats and I weighed about 220 lbs in those days. I owned a Starbound chair for a number of years and while it did not happen to me as I was careful I did see it happen a couple of times at star parties. If you weight under 150# you may not ever see it happen.

That makes a lot of sense. I weigh more than 150lbs, in fact I definitely weigh enough to deform things. I will have to see if over time the seat becomes easier to adjust which I would actually like. I do remove the seat from the frame for regular storage so I notice the rubber bumper bar sleeve does get dented in the areas where it rests on the frame.

#10 DaveHume

DaveHume

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, US

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

When I got mine it was recommended to get one of these https://www.ebay.com...-/362617904096

It makes lifting the seat a breeze.  Also as far as weight goes I am 285lbs and I have never been dumped.  Of course I have just jinxed myself.

• SciGlass likes this

#11 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Yes Dave that is awesome. I instantly recognize the benefit of that strap for easy control while adjusting. Thank you!

#12 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

The Stardust-type chair does not.
  • SciGlass likes this

#13 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:00 PM

I had a learning curve when I got mine and the "dump" isn't as most people think.

What happens (at least to me) was that when I went to raise or lower the seat I hit the seat with my hand just before sitting down.

The seat fell to the ground and I soon followed.  Luckily it was already close to the ground so my "fall" was short.

The seat can't drop you while you're sitting on it, only while adjusting it.

• Jon Isaacs and SciGlass like this

#14 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:06 PM

So this evening while doing some planetary I was able to drop the seat while sitting. I grabbed the front of the seat and very forcefully tried to scoot forward, almost trying to hop the chair. Seat gave way, down I went. My wife laughed after watching multiple various attempts to do this today. She plans on using this chair as well and was also worried. But after the many attempts to force this to happen I think she was laughing out of relief.... no it was probably hilarious watching me plummet to earth. lol.gif

Anyhow, I guess it is possible after all, but very unlikely. Excellent chair for personal use. Great to use while I collimate and for many other tasks as well.

I would highly recommend this chair and would still say the risk characterization is overblown. I would submit maybe not a first option for outreach but fantastic for you and your inner circle. Just don't grab the front and try to get Starbound!

Edited by SciGlass, 11 August 2020 - 11:15 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 n2dpsky

n2dpsky

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:28 PM

I'm a big guy (6'4" 250 lbs) and never had an issue.   It's built like a tank.  My Starbound is simply awesome.

• SciGlass likes this

#16 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:01 AM

I'm a big guy (6'4" 250 lbs) and never had an issue. It's built like a tank. My Starbound is simply awesome.

Same, and I agree
  • n2dpsky likes this

#17 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:04 AM

Hearing of these chairs being able to drop you, I tried an observing buddies a few years ago and vaguely recall getting it to drop me. So I stuck with my Vestil CPRO-800LP. The padding on the Vestil is just decimated after all these year (~6 years) and it was actually quite minuscule to begin with, so I just put in the order for a Starbound Observing Chair. 

I can learn to NOT do whatever causes it to dump people and enjoy the comfy padding the other 99% of the time I am using. It should be here early next week. I will report back once taking delivery. 

#18 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:05 AM

I'm a big guy (6'4" 250 lbs) and never had an issue.   It's built like a tank.  My Starbound is simply awesome.

Good to hear! I'm close to you in size/weight so that is reassuring. 

• n2dpsky and SciGlass like this

#19 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:07 AM

You made a great choice in my opinion. The cushion on the Starbound is very comfortable. And although the backing is bare frame, it's actually comfortable to lean back and look up
  • n2dpsky likes this

#20 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:23 AM

You made a great choice in my opinion. The cushion on the Starbound is very comfortable. And although the backing is bare frame, it's actually comfortable to lean back and look up

My current Vestil chair is the same bare frame design but I might miss that footrest! I did use it quite a bit when the chair was set to the higher end of its height setting. 

• SciGlass likes this

#21 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:38 AM

My current Vestil chair is the same bare frame design but I might miss that footrest! I did use it quite a bit when the chair was set to the higher end of its height setting.

That is true, I could see in the higher register how a footrest would be nice. I'm sure someone has made one for Starbound chairs. If I run across something I will share it.

#22 BrettG

BrettG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:33 AM

I've had my StarBound for 4-5 years now and have never had it "dump" me.

• n2dpsky and SciGlass like this

#23 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:41 AM

So, when the StarBound chair dumps people, does it then become the EarthBound chair?

Asking for a friend.

An earthbound misfit I

Bonus points for getting the reference....

• areyoukiddingme and SciGlass like this

#24 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

I've had two of the Starbound chairs for almost 20 years.  There are two things that I've found can be a problem.

The first one is that if you position the seat close to the ground, the chair can tip forward.  This is because the legs are roughly like a tripod (the two front legs are close enough to each other, that they are like one leg).  If you position the seat very low, it's also farther away from the center of the triangle formed by the legs.  If you get so low that your body weight is outside of that triangle, then the chair can tip forward while you are sitting on it.  If I am doing outreach and observing near the zenith, I warn people that the seat is very low - and I keep my hand on the top of the back of the chair to that I can keep it stable in case the observer leans forward.

The second thing is what I think is happening when people say that they chair "dumps" people.  This can happen when you change the height of the chair while sitting on it:  You reach down and grab the front of the seat and lift it so that it's free.  Most of the time, you can just raise or lower the seat and sit down again.  But every now and then, when you lift the front of the seat, if you do it just right (or wrong), the seat can free fall and slip out of your grasp.  Note that this never happens when your weight is on the seat.  The issue though, if you are not expecting it, is that you just took your weight off the seat to adjust it and were expecting to sit right back down - but now the seat is all the way down on the ground.  If you're not ready for this, and try to sit back down, you will fall. I always adjust the seat myself, before letting anyone else sit down, so it's never been an issue for a guest observer.  It's also not a problem if you use two hands to adjust the seat.

• Jon Isaacs, BoldAxis1967, areyoukiddingme and 2 others like this

#25 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

An earthbound misfit I

Bonus points for getting the reference....

Learning to fly- Pink Floyd
  • nebulasaurus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics