•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starbound Chair Dumps People?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 n2dpsky

n2dpsky

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

Good to hear! I'm close to you in size/weight so that is reassuring. 

Reading others posts, I wanted to clarify one point.    I have never tried to adjust the seat height while seated, which may be the issue.   I always get up, adjust the seat height and then sit down.   

• SciGlass likes this

#27 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:39 AM

I think this is the biggest detail. Just make sure the seat is down when you sit. It's basically like making sure the toilet seat is up before you... you know
  • Jon Isaacs, SonnyE and BradFran like this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

Reading others posts, I wanted to clarify one point.    I have never tried to adjust the seat height while seated, which may be the issue.   I always get up, adjust the seat height and then sit down.   

I adjust the seat without getting up. That's one of the advantages of the Starbound, it's so quick and easy. I'll adjust it just for a quick look through the finder.

I think the important thing is to clearly understand the process of raising and lowering the seat.

What I do:

While seated, I put both hands under the front of the seat (under my thighs), and then partially stand up. This lifts the front of the seat and unlocks it.

Next, with the seat unlocked and my hands underneath the middle of the seat, I raise or lower myself and the seat to the desired height. 

The last step is to lock the seat in place by sliding my hands under my butt so the front drops down.  I then let go of the seat and sit down.

This happens very quickly, 1-2 seconds but there's a lot going on.  

I've had my Starbound chair for about 20 years. I weigh anywhere from 210lbs to 240 lbs and have used it thousands of nights. I've tested it by having some sit on my lap with 370 lbs, it's solid.

I do use it with the public, I use my Catsperch with the public. But I adjust it myself. I would never let someone unfamiliar with any type of adjustable chair adjust it themselves.

Jon

• Starman81, n2dpsky, Second Time Around and 1 other like this

#29 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:43 AM

I have recently purchased a Starbound chair. I love using it with both my Dob and especially my Refractor. When I was researching the chair I saw many reviews and posts talking about how the chair dumps/drops them while they are seated, taking a seat, or getting up from sitting.

I have tried and tried to get it to drop me. Specifically lifting the seat while trying to apply seated pressure. I have tried keeping the seat lifted while taking a seat, I've tried pulling and yanking and twisting and turning, tucking my legs under while standing from a seated position, timing the lifting and sitting motion as inappropriately for safe use as possible and I cannot get the chair to drop while I'm seated, taking a seat, or standing from sitting. I read some product reviews on websites saying the new chair was less easy to lift and reposition height than the reviewer's old chair.

I have many times read that this chair can dump it's user. So if anyone has recently purchased a Starbound to replace an older one, maybe you can confirm if they tightened up the quick adjustment feature to correct this issue.

It is an absolutely fantastic, lightweight, and essential accessory for me that comes with the caveat of potentially being risky for the user. If they have modified the chair to correct this I'd like it to be on the record. As far as my opinion goes, it does not seem likely to drop me to the ground ever and I regard the Starbound chair as very safe for anyone to use.

Lol my chair can try dumping 18stone lol i part re modified an ironing perch chair 

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:45 AM

I think this is the biggest detail. Just make sure the seat is down when you sit. It's basically like making sure the toilet seat is up before you... you know

Or down, depending on your goals...

But that's it, lock the seat in place before sitting down.

Other seat designs do not unlock and lock so easily so you're forced to concentrate on the process. They can be a pain in the rear.

Jon

• SciGlass likes this

#31 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:49 AM

Or down, depending on your goals...

But that's it, lock the seat in place before sitting down.

Other seat designs do not unlock and lock so easily so you're forced to concentrate on the process. They can be a pain in the rear.

Jon

Yea I was not interested in fiddling with a hook and rail system. I wanted quick adjust. I narrowed it down to starbound or a drummers throne. Unfortunately I cant get my drummers throne low enough. Also, the starbound is much easier to transport. Actually pretty light and easy to manage with the thin frame at 16lbs
  • Starman81 likes this

#32 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:01 PM

I think sample variance may be the primary reason reports vary.  I have two Starbounds now.  The first one was bought new five or six years ago.  It has been an aggressive dumper since day one.  While standing, if I bump the chair even slightly the seat will instantly slide all the way to the ground.  There is zero problem while downward force is on the seat, but without that leverage the seat is a hare's breath from falling.  How I dump myself is by bumping the seat with the backs of my thighs while sitting.  If my thighs touch the seat before my butt does the seat flies to the ground, and then I follow it.  This tends to happen in winter when I'm wearing my arctic coveralls, which are large and cumbersome.  The chair has also dumped one person at outreach.  I avoid the dump by pressing my fingers down on the seat before I sit.  That little bit of downward pressure keeps the seat from falling.

Chair number two, bought this year from the same vendor, seems like it couldn't possibly dump anyone.  There is so much friction it's a bit fussy to adjust the seat.  I can lever the seat into the "unlocked" position and it will stay there.  It doesn't slide an inch, much less all the way to the ground.  As you might imagine, I prefer this seat.  At some point I will examine the two and figure out how to rig the dumping chair so that it behaves like the other.  I don't see any obvious difference at a glance, but the dumper is white and the safe one is black.  That detail is probably irrelevant.

Anyhow, one should not assume that if his chair doesn't dump him that the people who get dumped by the Starbound are fools or otherwise use the chair improperly.  In my case, at least, I have two chairs that seem to have been machined to quite different tolerances.

Edited by Usquebae, 12 August 2020 - 01:03 PM.

• Starman81 and SciGlass like this

#33 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:35 PM

Personally I think thease guidelines are set in place regarding the weight capacity of the user within reason is just a guesstimate I cannot imagine the manufactures pay product testers to jump up and down all day on there products and swing it around there yard and see if it breaks.if possible for me if was possible change to beefier bolts,nuts and screws it’s a seat at end of the day as the weight of the individual is evenly spaced or call it centre of gravity even.i think a stone in weight either way would be feasible.

#34 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

Ps the expression of being dumped in my eyes is just common sense or having your wits alert around you especially in the dark when tiredness and fatigue comes into play silly mistakes can happen.ie the struts or supports on a chair are locked or fully exstended.or worse case scenario on a dip or small hill your unaware of then you would feel the force of being dumped so to speak .

#35 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

I think sample variance may be the primary reason reports vary. I have two Starbounds now. The first one was bought new five or six years ago. It has been an aggressive dumper since day one. While standing, if I bump the chair even slightly the seat will instantly slide all the way to the ground. There is zero problem while downward force is on the seat, but without that leverage the seat is a hare's breath from falling. How I dump myself is by bumping the seat with the backs of my thighs while sitting. If my thighs touch the seat before my butt does the seat flies to the ground, and then I follow it. This tends to happen in winter when I'm wearing my arctic coveralls, which are large and cumbersome. The chair has also dumped one person at outreach. I avoid the dump by pressing my fingers down on the seat before I sit. That little bit of downward pressure keeps the seat from falling.

Chair number two, bought this year from the same vendor, seems like it couldn't possibly dump anyone. There is so much friction it's a bit fussy to adjust the seat. I can lever the seat into the "unlocked" position and it will stay there. It doesn't slide an inch, much less all the way to the ground. As you might imagine, I prefer this seat. At some point I will examine the two and figure out how to rig the dumping chair so that it behaves like the other. I don't see any obvious difference at a glance, but the dumper is white and the safe one is black. That detail is probably irrelevant.

Anyhow, one should not assume that if his chair doesn't dump him that the people who get dumped by the Starbound are fools or otherwise use the chair improperly. In my case, at least, I have two chairs that seem to have been machined to quite different tolerances.

Well first I would say that while being dropped to the ground on your behind can have serious ramifications for some individuals and is not funny, generally I find this thread to be rather humorous.

I would agree that user error or being a fool is not the reason why the chair will send someone's behind careening to earth, however your post best exemplifies what I was looking for. I am trying to find out if the newer (since at least 2018) chairs have tightened the tolerance on the rubber bumper as to avoid an easier release to hopefully mitigate risk of a drop.

As you have explained, my chair acts exactly as your new chair does. Very hard to get it to release. I had second guessed purchasing this chair based on the information regarding it's touchy grip. After seeing a report that a user's new chair was harder to adjust than his old one, correcting the higher risk of dropping, I went ahead and purchased the chair.

By my investigation it is very unlikely that my chair at least, will unexpectedly send me to the ground.

Essentially what I am trying to figure out is whether the tolerances between the frame and the rubber bumper bar been tightened by the manufacturer. Because on my chair, I can lift the seat and it will not drop unless I physically guide it down. The weight of the seat alone is enough to engage the bumper against the frame.

I feel like the thread has utility for those who wish to purchase this chair and may have back issues or have other high risks associated with such a fall. And that if in fact the chair has been slightly modified by the manufacturer to mitigate risk, we can provide at least some anecdotal consensus to help someone in their risk analysis. Ultimately this thread will be probably resolve into people's opinions about whatever chair they already own. However one member did purchase a starbound based on this thread so then again, maybe our conversation here becomes important after all.

#36 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

I cannot imagine the manufactures pay product testers to jump up and down all day on there products and swing it around there yard and see if it breaks.

Hmm yes, I certainly have not received my check in the mail yet for such a test!

#37 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:52 PM

Hmm yes, I certainly have not received my check in the mail yet for such a test!

I must admit very envious regarding your location always pictured myself in a log cabin 

Edited by Supernova74, 12 August 2020 - 02:53 PM.

• SciGlass likes this

#38 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:58 PM

Nothing is more shocking in the dark than to sit down, when the seat is up.

Tends to pucker your... you know.

• SciGlass likes this

#39 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

• Loc: Columbia, SC

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

I think sample variance may be the primary reason reports vary.  I have two Starbounds now.  The first one was bought new five or six years ago.  It has been an aggressive dumper since day one.  While standing, if I bump the chair even slightly the seat will instantly slide all the way to the ground.  There is zero problem while downward force is on the seat, but without that leverage the seat is a hare's breath from falling.  How I dump myself is by bumping the seat with the backs of my thighs while sitting.  If my thighs touch the seat before my butt does the seat flies to the ground, and then I follow it.  This tends to happen in winter when I'm wearing my arctic coveralls, which are large and cumbersome.  The chair has also dumped one person at outreach.  I avoid the dump by pressing my fingers down on the seat before I sit.  That little bit of downward pressure keeps the seat from falling.

Chair number two, bought this year from the same vendor, seems like it couldn't possibly dump anyone.  There is so much friction it's a bit fussy to adjust the seat.  I can lever the seat into the "unlocked" position and it will stay there.  It doesn't slide an inch, much less all the way to the ground.  As you might imagine, I prefer this seat.  At some point I will examine the two and figure out how to rig the dumping chair so that it behaves like the other.  I don't see any obvious difference at a glance, but the dumper is white and the safe one is black.  That detail is probably irrelevant.

Anyhow, one should not assume that if his chair doesn't dump him that the people who get dumped by the Starbound are fools or otherwise use the chair improperly.  In my case, at least, I have two chairs that seem to have been machined to quite different tolerances.

My Starbound (several years old now) came with plastic pads on the metal plates that hold the seat on the rails. The pads press against the side of the rails and provide a little friction that prevents the seat from dropping when it's unlocked. At some point, my pads came unglued and fell out, and the seat went from needing a push to move down even when unlocked, to sliding freely when unlocked. I simply glued in some new plastic pieces and it was back like new. I suspect the chairs that seem more drop-prone than others might have missing pads, or pads that aren't providing enough friction due to manufacturing tolerances. 

That said, I've never had mine drop me, with or without the pads in place. But I always make sure to lower the seat until it 'grabs' the rails before I put my weight on it. 

• Usquebae and SciGlass like this

#40 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:48 PM

I'm a big guy (6'4" 250 lbs) and never had an issue.   It's built like a tank.  My Starbound is simply awesome.

Same here and I’m built like a tank he he ha ha

• n2dpsky likes this

#41 lsfinn

lsfinn

Mariner 2

• Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

I have many times read that this chair can dump it's user. So if anyone has recently purchased a Starbound to replace an older one, maybe you can confirm if they tightened up the quick adjustment feature to correct this issue.

I am one of those that have had, and reported on CN, "dumping" issues.

It is important to clarify that - at least, In my case - dumping has only been a problem when frost forms on the chair legs where the friction-locking occurs. 

I've not had a problem with dry nights or even dewy ones. When frost forms, however, my chair becomes unreliable. 

• ButterFly and SciGlass like this

#42 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 02:05 PM

It is important to clarify that - at least, In my case - dumping has only been a problem when frost forms on the chair legs where the friction-locking occurs.

I've not had a problem with dry nights or even dewy ones. When frost forms, however, my chair becomes unreliable.

Yes I remember reading your comment when I was researching chairs. It makes total sense. Initially I had planned to store the chair outside in the shed but after your comment realized I'll have to store it inside to mitigate forming frost. I guess nights that it freezes, if it does in fact become unreliable, I'll have to either find a solution with a hair dryer or something, or I'll just forgo the chair. But I'm glad you've brought this to my attention yet again. Thanks

#43 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 15 August 2020 - 03:24 PM

I’ve had my Starbound since the early 2,000s and do love it. It doesn’t dump me since I learned early on that if you adjust it while partially seated, dumping is possible. That said, I quit taking it to public viewing events years ago, after a couple of older folks rode it to the ground rather dramatically. I now take my pneumatic drummers throne to public events so that dumping the uninitiated never happens.
  • SciGlass likes this

#44 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

My chair just came in a couple days ago. I had it out already one night. Super comfortable! Like sitting on a cloud.

I do wish they updated the design by flaring out the front feet. That would help with any sinking of the chair on soft ground (as has been commented in the past) and also would shore it up from being a tip-over hazard, laterally. While I had the chair indoors, my 5 year old accidentally tipped it over with very little force! 

I'm getting used to changing the height of the chair. It's a two-handed operation for me and I get off the seat first, so I hope this foolproof, even in frostier times. 

• SciGlass likes this

#45 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

My chair just came in a couple days ago. I had it out already one night. Super comfortable! Like sitting on a cloud.

I do wish they updated the design by flaring out the front feet. That would help with any sinking of the chair on soft ground (as has been commented in the past) and also would shore it up from being a tip-over hazard, laterally. While I had the chair indoors, my 5 year old accidentally tipped it over with very little force!

I'm getting used to changing the height of the chair. It's a two-handed operation for me and I get off the seat first, so I hope this foolproof, even in frostier times.

I havent really been serious about making a modification to the feet as it has been fine for how I use it, however I know you can add PVC parts to it to make it more stable especially in lower seated positions. Additionally the PVC, specifically a basic T joint, should prevent it from sinking into soft ground.

Edited by SciGlass, 15 August 2020 - 05:26 PM.

#46 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

Mine has splayed front legs that make it more stable & less prone to tilting.

• SciGlass likes this

#47 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

It is important to clarify that - at least, In my case - dumping has only been a problem when frost forms on the chair legs where the friction-locking occurs. 

Best excuse to get a heating pad for the winter.

• SciGlass likes this

#48 edl

edl

Viking 1

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:36 PM

I’m in the “never had a problem” category regarding my 10+ year old chair, even when at my largest (250 lbs.).
It will drop pretty easily, however, with no weight on it.

Best,
Ed L.
  • SciGlass likes this

#49 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:58 AM

I had one of these chairs for about a year.

I found that the only way I could keep from getting dumped was to push down on the front of the chair before getting up or sitting down.

If I didn't push down on the front while sitting down, it was a guaranteed trip to the ground!

The last time I used the chair, it dumped me to the ground and I fell onto my tripod and almost knocked it over carrying my C11 Edge and my piggybacked 80mm.

I threw it out and purchased a different chair that I've been using now for several years and haven't experienced any problems.

Here is the one I bought as it's replacement

http://store.smartas...martseatii.html

#50 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:40 AM

Interesting. Very similar design although I like that yours has a foot rest. When did you own your Starbound chair?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics