•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starbound Chair Dumps People?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:54 AM

I had the starbound chair about 4 years ago.

• SciGlass likes this

#52 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

IME there are two primary and related reasons the chair can dump a user.

The first is if you are absent minded and get on at an angle while gripping the front of the chair (a natural place to grip when locating your backside). That can lift it a tiny bit, and the seat only needs a tiny angle to slip. That's the key problem with the design. It's often seen when you brush up a against the chair and watch the seat fall to the ground.

The second is that there's something called a dominant response. Ever grabbed the metal handle of a pan that you put in the oven, despite knowing that it's currently 500 degrees F? 

Once you have learned a response that becomes automatic, it can be difficult to extinguish that response, even with some very strong negative feedback.

I also have a Vestil chair, and that one has a seat that needs a good bit of force to the seat so it detaches from the frame, and can then be moved. That's a natural move for this design, and I think that is something easily learned and becomes automatic. Even if you were to sit on the Vestil with the seat on an angle, it will simply lock in place.

When you apply that same learned move to the Starbound, you lift the seat a tiny bit, and if you are also mid-sit, you stand a strong chance of taking a tumble.

So far I've taken a dive twice with the Starbound for this reason--both were combined with me being distracted by some equipment or target that I was chasing, and tipping the seat a tiny bit while getting positioned to sit.

There will be more people falling in the future because of this, and some will be hurt. 

• SciGlass likes this

#53 dapalmer

dapalmer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

I saw where a user had good results with using a gardener's kneeling pad a back rest to minimize the risk of the drop.

Checkout post #45 on this thread. https://www.cloudyni...g-people/page-2

Click on the picture link to see how he uses it. Looks like a good idea and an added comfort feature.

Disclaimer: I do not have this chair so I cannot attest that this works or not. I am considering getting this chair.

• SciGlass likes this

#54 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:08 PM

I saw where a user had good results with using a gardener's kneeling pad a back rest to minimize the risk of the drop.

Checkout post #45 on this thread. https://www.cloudyni...g-people/page-2

Click on the picture link to see how he uses it. Looks like a good idea and an added comfort feature.

Disclaimer: I do not have this chair so I cannot attest that this works or not. I am considering getting this chair.

That is a great solution to those who have a touchy chair.

My chair is not touchy and I really love it. So +1 on this chair for your search imo.

#55 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

I'm always dropping the seat of mine as I mistakenly grab the front of the seat to adjust the chair's position. Fortunately, I'm always on my feet when I do that.

I've taken to fastening a Vise-Grip on the frame, below the seat to prevent it from plunging.

• SciGlass likes this

#56 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

That is a great solution to those who have a touchy chair.

My chair is not touchy and I really love it. So +1 on this chair for your search imo.

Though just receiving it days ago, I've used it a lot. Not only at night, but we like to sit outside and so it gets used during the day as well. I cannot make it drop me, it is clearly not touchy and I do really love it. 

The more I think about the lack of a footrest, I think they can and should add one. When the seat is super low, it gets really tippy on the front end, as you all know already. So basically that super-low end of height range is not easily usable or practical. A footrest down there would be much more useful. 

#57 SciGlass

SciGlass

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:59 PM

Though just receiving it days ago, I've used it a lot. Not only at night, but we like to sit outside and so it gets used during the day as well. I cannot make it drop me, it is clearly not touchy and I do really love it.

The more I think about the lack of a footrest, I think they can and should add one. When the seat is super low, it gets really tippy on the front end, as you all know already. So basically that super-low end of height range is not easily usable or practical. A footrest down there would be much more useful.

I can agree with that critique.

We shall see if over time, as the rubber bumper deforms a bit, whether our chairs become the touchy type. My experience is the same as yours.

And I use mine for other tasks as well.

In fact, I'm sitting in mine right now!

Edited by SciGlass, 17 August 2020 - 10:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics