•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2" compared to 1.25" filters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jjjakus17

jjjakus17

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

Is there a decent enough benefit of me upgrading my filters from 1.25" to 2"? Idk if I understand what the benefits are. Thx

#2 Complexmystery

Complexmystery

Mariner 2

• Loc: Baton Rouge

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

The only reason to upgrade to 2” filters would be to future proof your setup. Assuming you use the 183M, 1.25” filters more than allow you to not have vignetting in nearly any imaging system. Larger sensors need larger filters. Also, fast systems also may need larger filters to avoid vignetting. Unless you plan on upgrading to a camera with a larger sensor, there isn’t a benefit to using a larger filter. A more suitable place to spend your money may be to upgrade to a better brand of filter if you are currently using cheap ones(not saying you are I’m just saying in general). Other than avoiding vignetting, I cannot think of an actual benefit besides what’s said above.

-Josh

#3 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

When I got my filterwheel/filters, I went with 36mm even though I was using a 183.  This was to give me the flexibility to using the filters with sensors up to APS-C size, as I am hoping for a mono version of the 2600.  The vignetting of the filters will be determined by the size of sensor, the f/ratio of the imaging train, and the distance between the sensor and the filters.  Larger sensors, lower f/ratios, and longer distance between drive the benefit for larger filters.  APS-C has ~28mm diagonal, so 36mm filters should not vignette at all assuming 20mm distance assuming an f/ratio of f/3.2 or slower.

To need the expense of 2" filters, you must be imaging on a full-frame sensor (43mm+ diagonal).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics