•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Use Meade Autostar on a Celestron?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bcarney

bcarney

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

Back in 1997 or so I bought a Celestron C8. Barebones, no computer control, just the tube, mount, and tripod.  Never really used it since setup and polar alignment and basically just finding anything was a PITA.  Was recently given a Meade ETX-90 from circa 2000.  I was wondering if there was some sort of adapter so I could use the ETX's AutoStar controller on the C8?  Thank you.

#2 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

No, they are not compatible in any way.

• Augustus and bcarney like this

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

Back in 1997 or so I bought a Celestron C8. Barebones, no computer control, just the tube, mount, and tripod.  Never really used it since setup and polar alignment and basically just finding anything was a PITA.  Was recently given a Meade ETX-90 from circa 2000.  I was wondering if there was some sort of adapter so I could use the ETX's AutoStar controller on the C8?  Thank you.

I do not see how. The Meade ETX 90 mount would never support the C8. 

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:36 PM

You need mounts that are clones of each other, like Vixen GP/GP-DX, Celestron/Synta CG-5/ASGT, Orion SVP, or Meade LXD-55 to 85. And you need a complete set of motors, parts and controller  of one brand as they are a kit and must be used all together.

Edited by photoracer18, 11 August 2020 - 07:37 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics