•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deeep Sky Stacker doesn't see the stars in my images

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brundog

brundog

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:11 AM

When I try to register my images in DSS it indicates there are 0 stars although my image shows several stars.  The threshold is set to 7 and my camera is a 1 shot color camera that takes FITs images.  The stars look sharp and my settings are for a FITs monochrome generic RGGB camera.  Does anyone have any suggestions, I am getting pretty frustrated and don't know what to try next.

Thanks for any help

Jack

#2 rkinnett

rkinnett

Messenger

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:28 AM

Crank that threshold down to 3.  If that still doesn't work, maybe convert one of your fits files to png, unstretched, and post it somewhere shareable.

Be sure to poke around the Camera Raw/FITS settings.  Try enabling "Monochrome FITS files are RAW files".  I would think you DSS would still find stars even if it's not debayered, so this may be a long shot..

Edit:  nevermind about converting to png, the fits file would be fine, after you've tried tweaking Raw/FITS settings.

Edited by rkinnett, 12 August 2020 - 01:33 AM.

#3 rkinnett

rkinnett

Messenger

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:35 AM

Are your stars sharp?  See this thread which suggests DSS rejects fuzzy/smeared stars, but there is another program that should work in that case:

https://www.cloudyni...ant-find-stars/

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:20 AM

turn the threshold down to 2 - the most sensitive setting. daft to use anything else if youre having trouble detecting stars.

#5 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Jack,

Are you using any calibration frames (Bias, Darks, Flat-Darks, Flats) that you are also feeding into DSS? If you are giving DSS calibration frames, try without them. 

If DSS can stack just the lights and nothing else yet is unable to find stars when using calibration frames also, you likely have an issue with the calibration frames. Usually in this situation, mismatched Dark frames are at the root of the problem. What can happen with mismatched Dark frames is that when they are subtracted by DSS from the lights, the resulting Light frame may be so dark that stars no longer show up so star detection fails.

If you are not using any calibration frames in DSS, then it must be something about the Light frames that is giving DSS problems detecting the stars.

John

• BinoGuy likes this

#6 brundog

brundog

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

I turned the threshold to 2 while processing only lights and still no stars detected.  My Touptek cmos color camera driver has a selection for raw or rbg, I tried them both and no stars detected.  I set up the options same as a tutorial video on processing FITS files for deep sky stacker with a camera similar to mine and it still saw no stars.  I am attaching a jpeg of my light frames maybe I am missing something here.dumbbell.JPG

#7 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

I'm just doing my first test stack (unguided, since I woke up a half hour before down to discover the clouds hadn't shown up after all) and working my way through Trevor's DSS tutorial so I'm a newbie and interested in any possible solutions in case I run in to the same problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics