•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How many Perseid meteors did you see?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Frisky

Frisky

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:05 AM

I was out with my scope but put it off to the side and sat back, watching for meteors from 1AM to 2AM when the moon rose above the tree in front of me and ruined the view. At 1AM on the nose, I saw a beautiful yellow meteor, followed by 3 small ones over the next 4 minutes. They gave me 4 in the first 4 minutes. I then had to wait 40 minutes to see the next one! Finally, things ended with a flurry, and I got to 12 in 1 hour. The first I saw being the best of the hour. 12 is my record from the driveway, as much of my view is blocked by trees. 

Joe

• orionic and jiblet65 like this

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:41 AM

Yahoo News was predicting 150 per hour so you certainly missed a few!        lol.gif

• Frisky likes this

#3 rocketboy

rocketboy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:23 AM

I wrote about my night here https://www.cloudyni...3#entry10413990

TL;DR: 4 over a period of approximately 35 minutes. 3 "regular" ones and one where the tail stood for a second before quickly fading away.
  • Frisky likes this

#4 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:08 AM

A lot of Moonlight combined with terrible transparency here. undecided.gif ... I watched for about 45 minutes from 3:00 to 3:45am Mountain time.

Saw two meteors. A Perseid, close to the radiant. Short and bright. Brighter than Venus. The other was a stray that came out of Ursa Minor and streaked south, dimmer and long (60°-70°).

Between light pollution and the Moon/transparency, I'm sure I missed a couple dim ones. But the Perseids certainly weren't firing here.

• derherr65 and Frisky like this

#5 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:54 AM

Went out to a park north of town and even with the moonlight and some clouds, were able to see about 15 from 2 -4 am.  Not the best, I've seen, but at least we had a nice weather night.

Gary

• Frisky likes this

#6 hboswell

hboswell

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mississippi, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

Apparently the Perseids were also practicing social distancing. I was out between 12:30 and 1:45. High thin haze wasn't helpful, but there was lots of otherwise clear space, and I saw 3 during that time.

Harry

• jfgout and Frisky like this

#7 bumm

bumm

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Iowa

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

I was out on a lawn chair from 11:10 til 11:50.  Clear, but below average transparency, and really not late enough.  I saw two decent Perseids and one stray.  A nice night anyway, 67 degrees F with a nice breeze.  Almost went to sleep naming stars after a couple of days sawing up and hauling away tree limbs after a bad Monday morning storm.

Marty    

• payner, justfred, B l a k S t a r and 1 other like this

#8 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:32 AM

zero like 0 .

I was outside for about an hour and a half, between 1100 to 1230 .

you have to look at the sky right? 

• 3 i Guy, B l a k S t a r, Frisky and 1 other like this

#9 rocketboy

rocketboy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:39 AM

zero like 0 .
I was outside for about an hour and a half, between 1100 to 1230 .
you have to look at the sky right?

That's a good start, but apparently not good enough :p
  • sunnyday likes this

#10 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:51 AM

Um... Well...

cloudy.gif

• orionic likes this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

I was out for about 2 hrs around 10:30 to 12:30, viewing out over the river, towards the south, the skies were perfectly clear and the SQML was reading 21.85, almost perfect conditions ! When I wasn’t looking through my scope I managed to see about half a dozen average meteors, I guess I should have reclined and concentrated a bit more but Sagittarius, M13 and the Dumbbell to name a few were unbelievable through my 60mm Tasco 9vr, using my new Orion E series zoom. Tonite which is to mirror last nite I will watch a little closer back towards the NE

• B l a k S t a r and Frisky like this

#12 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:16 AM

Sounds like I really lucked out! I stepped out about 3:25 AM and started counting seconds. I'm in Bortle 5 skies, but the sky was terribly milky what with moonlight and humidity, and it was probably in the lower 70s.

I saw one meteor at exactly 100 seconds. That's all I wanted, just one, under these conditions.

So with a meaningless data set of n=1 meteor in 2 minutes, I extrapolate 30/hour.

Edited by chrysalis, 12 August 2020 - 10:32 AM.

• Frisky likes this

#13 MEE

MEE

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

Meteor counts basically mean *nothing* if the person does not give an indication of sky quality

I “watched” for about 20 min but that was not all at once. I didn’t see any. Not surprising, considering I’m in the suburbs of a large city (limiting magnitude 4.5 or so)

My camera, running exposures all night, picked up nothing (but I only had 1 camera going because I wanted to see if I could get one over the house

Edited by MEE, 12 August 2020 - 09:19 AM.

• Frisky likes this

#14 MEE

MEE

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:24 AM

Yahoo News was predicting 150 per hour so you certainly missed a few! lol.gif[/quote]

Are you referring to this article:

https://news.yahoo.c...-131128828.html

#15 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:26 AM

Thanks to yet more cloud cover zero last evening but I did catch one early in the morning a couple of weeks ago.

• Frisky likes this

#16 Frisky

Frisky

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

I was at Bortle 6 with good, but not great, seeing.

Joe

#17 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:00 AM

33 from around 1-4am. There were a number of bright yellowish meteors.

• REC, Stardust Dave and B l a k S t a r like this

#18 jfgout

jfgout

Vostok 1

• Loc: Starkville, MS

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:20 AM

Apparently the Perseids were also practicing social distancing. I was out between 12:30 and 1:45. High thin haze wasn't helpful, but there was lots of otherwise clear space, and I saw 3 during that time.

Harry

Good to know. I'm in Mississippi too (Starkville) and went to bed when the thunderstorms rolled in around 10pm, knowing it would probably clear up later and I might miss a good show. Sorry to hear you did not see more, but I'm glad I did not miss much :p

jf

#19 LCWASTRO

LCWASTRO

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, Ohio United States

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:00 AM

hopefully i dont miss the peak... supposed to have 85% half high and half low cloud cover... do you think they will dissapate?

#20 6choose3

6choose3

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:05 AM

I was out for a couple hours, but before midnight (Bortle 5/6).  Only saw one, but it was a fireball around 10:30pm.  Brightest meteor I've ever seen.

• Stardust Dave likes this

#21 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:06 AM

Couldn't see anything at 10:00 pm last night due to cloud cover. At 4:45 am I woke up and checked outside. Still some high cirrus blowing around but did see one bright and another dim meteor over half an hour. Hopefully tonight will be better.

John

#22 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:07 AM

We visited my site at a small ridge top meadow the Mendocino National Forest ( a solid class 3 ) showed around 10:00 PDT. Brought no optical aid. Were treated to about 20 plus meteors per hour , with a handful per hour being bright ( around -1 to 1st mag) and leaving trains roughly 25-30 degrees that lasted a second or two.

Most the meteors were fainter , say mag 3-4 and not much trails. Milky way highly structured and visible down to the horizon in the East, no light domes at all that direction. Limiting mag about 6.3 before the Moon rose.

Conditions were mild dry and transparent with no bugs. There were other numerous meteors , either sporadic or from other recent showers (?)

Meteors not really my area of observing.

Stayed out until 2:00 or so PDT , with the waning Moon becoming a nuiscance . We relaxed in the truck bed with a nice foam pad & pillows and used the tailgate to block the direct light of the Moon. 

We drove the 11 miles home from the ridge and I watched from my backyard ( Bortle 4-ish) saw a few fainter meteors.

"Only saw one, but it was a fireball around 10:30pm.  Brightest meteor I've ever seen"

Was that one by chance fairly low and headed West through the Big Dipper?

.Hope to get out tonight / tomorrow AM at a Bortle 2 location to see a few more.  A good time with spouse and dog. Just the three of us ,the stars and the crickets. 

Edited by Stardust Dave, 12 August 2020 - 11:12 AM.

• REC and B l a k S t a r like this

#23 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:13 AM

20 mins after midnight- none, gave up! 

#24 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:57 PM

My wife and I drove to a dark spot 30 miles north of town. She saw 22 meteors and I saw 14 in ~3.5 hr, quitting shortly after moonrise around 1am.  We both saw the same meteor about a half dozen times. None were fireballs although some reached mag 0. Most were Perseids, but the half dozen or so sporadics we saw numbered among the brighter ones seen. Part of why my count was lower than hers was because I was busy early on setting up cameras while she was looking at the sky the entire time. The rate did seem to improve as the night went on. Still, our impression was that this showing of the Perseids was rather paltry compared to some we've seen. And, as has been generally my luck with photographing meteor showers, I may have caught one meteor among the several hundred subs I took, dashing hopes once again for that montage of dozens of meteors that other people seem to regularly post after major meteor showers.

The most interesting meteor (a Perseid we both saw) was one that appeared to have no head. Instead it was more like a dim, moving beam of light 10-15* long that left a wide and sparkly trail that persisted maybe a half second. We both remarked on its unique appearance. All the others were the usual "shooting star" type.

• Jeremy Perez, REC and B l a k S t a r like this

#25 JedF

JedF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

I didn’t keep count but I’d estimate about 20 over an hour and a half of viewing from 2230 to around midnight.  Skies were dark and very clear (the Double Cluster was so big and bright I became momentarily disoriented and thought I’d discovered a new galaxy...) 

Only a few were really bright rippers that left a lingering trail (I’m sure there’s a technical term.)
Once or twice I’d see a couple back to back - at one point there were 3 in about 20 seconds - and I’d think “Here we go!” but nothing sustained. 
I do have to say that I confirmed something I’d suspected; it’s very hard to observe the night sky through eyelids.  The zero-gravity chair was a little too comfortable at points...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics