•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do YOU process your L-eNhance OSC data?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galway, Ireland

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

The L-enhance filter is becoming widely used by OSC imagers and some great images are being produced. However, there seems to be many different ways to process the data captured with this filter and therefore many different types of images being produced. I think it would be interesting and informative to see what peoples different work-flows look like.

So lets share our current experience with processing OSC data captured with the L-eNhance so that we can each work out the process which is best suited to our own systems and data.

I'll kick off by explaining two different methods i have used with an example of the different outputs from the same data. (Please note that I know the data is not great - its very noisy- and I am very much a beginner but I think it serves to illustrate my current flows and the different outputs achieved)

Workflow 1

1. I calibrate and integrate in APP using the "Ha-Oiii extract Ha" and "Ha-Oiii extract Oiii" algorithms
  2. This produces 2 mono images which are then combined in APP's Combine RGB tool using one of the HOO formulae
  3. I adjust the formula to get what i think is the best colour then save down
  4. I then do some further processing using the APP tools as appropriate then save a stretched version as a TIFF (I find that APP's stretching is better than my own manual stretching in PS)
  5. I then open the stretched TIFF in Photoshop and follow a pretty standard process of; improving contrast, selective saturation, star reduction, noise reduction, selective High-Pass etc.
  6. Here is the output of this process on my (not very good) IC1396 data https://astrob.in/hkof5j/0/

Workflow 2

1. I calibrate and integrate in APP using the "Ha-Oiii extract Ha" and "Ha-Oiii extract Oiii" algorithms
  2. This produces 2 mono images which I then stretch in APP and save as TIFF
  3. I then open the individual tiffs in PS and do some work to improve contrast, reduce noise and reduce star size as necessary (this seems to help reduce the red or blue halos produced by the filter)
  4. These adjusted tiffs are then combined as an RGB image using Carbonis action and then a green channel is then synthesized from R & B again using Carbonis actions.
  5. This combined RGB is then processed following the same standard process of; improving contrast, selective saturation, star reduction, noise reduction, selective High-Pass etc
  6. Here is the output of this process on my (not very good) IC1396 data https://astrob.in/pzucxf/0/

I look forward to seeing how you folks are processing your data so that I/we can improve my own workflow and make better images.

Can I kindly request that this thread does not turn into an argument about, for example, the relative merits of OSC duo band filter versus Mono with filters, whether PI/APP/DSS/Photoshop are the best etc. Lets keep this to sharing of how we all deal with L-enhance OSC data and the spirit of the post.

thanks

David.

#2 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:11 AM

David, the principle of my processing is similar. Note that I use the L-Extreme filter, which has much more narrow bandpasses and thus delivers much cleaner images, especially in Oiii.

For some reason, I never had any success with APP's extraction algorithms, the result is always bad data.

So these are my steps:

1. Stack images in APP 

2. Extract Red&Green channel in PS

3. Back to APP, remove gradients

4. Back to PS, process both images to reveal most details 

5. Use H-Alpha as Red, Oiii as Blue and a synthetic image of both (anything from 30-70 to 70-30) as green

6. Stretch H-Alpha further and use as Luminance

7. Play with colors until it looks fancy

https://www.astrobin...10sm/0/?nc=user

This is what I managed to get with my methodology

• HowardSD likes this

#3 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Galway, Ireland

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

David, the principle of my processing is similar. Note that I use the L-Extreme filter, which has much more narrow bandpasses and thus delivers much cleaner images, especially in Oiii.

For some reason, I never had any success with APP's extraction algorithms, the result is always bad data.

So these are my steps:

1. Stack images in APP 

2. Extract Red&Green channel in PS

3. Back to APP, remove gradients

4. Back to PS, process both images to reveal most details 

5. Use H-Alpha as Red, Oiii as Blue and a synthetic image of both (anything from 30-70 to 70-30) as green

6. Stretch H-Alpha further and use as Luminance

7. Play with colors until it looks fancy

https://www.astrobin...10sm/0/?nc=user

This is what I managed to get with my methodology

Wow, thats an astonishing image. Beautiful. I'd not thought about adding Ha as Lum - I'll give that a go.

When you say "play with the colours" - is that using  HSL or???

#4 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

Wow, thats an astonishing image. Beautiful. I'd not thought about adding Ha as Lum - I'll give that a go.

When you say "play with the colours" - is that using  HSL or???

Thank you!

Especially with bad data (Oiii data, color camera, not-so-narrow bandpass filter, warm nights, etc), I think you should always use H-Alpha as Luminance and only use the RGB image for color data.

And yes, by playing with colors I mean HSL and color balance

• mackiedlm likes this

#5 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

I use Pixinsight and I have an L-eXtreme filter.

I do the normal stack/register/integrate/drizzle.  I then do the split RGB and call   R-SII, G-Ha, B-OIII.  I may stretch a bit here and do Linearfit to make sure they are all even or the PixelMath won't work right.

Then I PixelMath it back into one image as   R: SII, G: .8Ha*.2SII , B: OIII.

From there I do normal processing of color/noise/etc.

I got my workflow from this guy although I had the same filter (ok, not exact....eXtreme vs eNhance) on the same target and my colors did NOT look like his after PixelMath.

https://www.youtube....h?v=E5V1tZ3QlYY

Julian, so you use your red channel as red in the RGB and also use it again as a luminance channel? So your LRGB combo is actually a RRGB combo?

Edited by mewmartigan, 12 August 2020 - 12:18 PM.

• Spammy likes this

#6 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

Julian, so you use your red channel as red in the RGB and also use it again as a luminance channel? So your LRGB combo is actually a RRGB combo?

exactly. Using the composited image for details would result in much lower resolution and loss of details. 

• mewmartigan likes this

#7 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

• Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Thank you guys... I just posted last night about this filter. I've only used it once and loved the nebulosity it brings out but i had absolutely no idea on how to process these images!

Now i have something to work with, might take a while as my experience level is very much a beginner but a starting point is good!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics