•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Coronado PST

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hop, while you were using the 80 set up, with the mask off was it for full disc or getting in closer for maybe more surface detail?

#27 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:36 PM

Hop, while you were using the 80 set up, with the mask off was it for full disc or getting in closer for maybe more surface detail?

It was actually to bring out the proms.  The focal length would stay the same so I was able to get a FD with a 25 mm eyepiece either way.  For imaging, I needed a 0.5x focal reducer after the Quark to get a FD image.  According to DayStar, the Quark wants to be in a f/28-40+ configuration to increase surface details.  It supposed to lower the bandpass.  So with its 4.2X telecentric, you would need f/7 or higher scope.  

• BinoGuy likes this

#28 cptbobrfh

cptbobrfh

Messenger

• Loc: Walden N.Y.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

I found out how much Bob, when the price is a little more for more then when to stop and what was I ever thinking of getting into solar viewing,,,,,,,,,,,

Knowing what I do know about celestial I should have known better,,,,,,,,

I have an Orion ST-90, fl 500mm f/5.6, si if I cut an apiture cap to bring the f ration up to f/10 or so, 

Mine is the older ST-90, and I have upgraded the focuser to a GSO 2 speed.

I think it's still in collimation, and right now I have cut the dust cover for 40mm aperture 

So if I go for a Quark to use, how would this compare to the Lunt 50 single stack and/or double stack.

The Quark will give you close up,zoomed in, views of the Sun.You will NOT see the whole disc in your field of view. The Lunt 50,either in single or double stack,will give you the whole disc,but you won't get to see close up/fine detail as you would with the Quark. As a solar visual observer for over 16 years,I prefer the Quark to see up close views of all the Sun can show us. That being said,I still use my 50mm,and love the double stack views it offers.

In my opinion,I don't think you will appreciate the views at 40mm. For me,entry level is 50mm-60mm. 10-20mm up in aperture from 40mm might not seem much,but it IS visually.

Also,in my opinion,using Quark with your ST-90 at f/5.6 will give you ok results. Not great,but ok. The views will be a little "soft"( not so crisp).If you mask it down,you will lose resolution. If you can get a Achromat refractor( APO scope not needed) at 100-120mm,that,to me,is the "sweet spot" for refractors using a Quark.

I like both setups,but hands down,the Quark on my 102mm refractor is my favorite.

Especially,with a binoviewer! Solar Nirvana!

To really enjoy H-Alpha views,you have to spend some cash,no doubt. A nice Quark setup,like I have,is around $2,000,but it only hurts once!

Hope this helps,

Bob

Edited by cptbobrfh, 12 August 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#29 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

I'll probably need head meds by the time I'm done with this,,,,,,,,,

Anyway, thanks Bob, the lean is towards a quark & ST-90 but the overall weight necessitates a new heavier mount ,,,,,,

Well, we'll see what tomorrow brings, 

Thanks everyone !

#30 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

The Quark will give you close up,zoomed in, views of the Sun.You will NOT see the whole disc in your field of view. The Lunt 50,either in single or double stack,will give you the whole disc,but you won't get to see close up/fine detail as you would with the Quark. As a solar visual observer for over 16 years,I prefer the Quark to see up close views of all the Sun can show us. That being said,I still use my 50mm,and love the double stack views it offers.

In my opinion,I don't think you will appreciate the views at 40mm. For me,entry level is 50mm-60mm. 10-20mm up in aperture from 40mm might not seem much,but it IS visually.

Also,in my opinion,using Quark with your ST-90 at f/5.6 will give you ok results. Not great,but ok. The views will be a little "soft"( not so crisp).If you mask it down,you will lose resolution. If you can get a Achromat refractor( APO scope not needed) at 100-120mm,that,to me,is the "sweet spot" for refractors using a Quark.

I like both setups,but hands down,the Quark on my 102mm refractor is my favorite.

Especially,with a binoviewer! Solar Nirvana!

To really enjoy H-Alpha views,you have to spend some cash,no doubt. A nice Quark setup,like I have,is around $2,000,but it only hurts once!

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hi Bob,  I have to disagree.  With my ST80 or any scope with less than 450mm focal length you can get a full disk.

#31 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

Heya,

You can totally view full disc with a Quark, it just requires a near 400mm focal length and ideally a 2" focuser. It's quite common with the venerable ST80's and 72mm scopes out there. I much preferred the view of the sun in my ST80 + Quark over a single stack PST by quite a fair margin. But, a double stacked PST is a different animal and presented a much nicer contrasty full disc. The Quark really pulls away when you're trying to see structures in higher resolution and finer detail, where aperture is needed, so when you're trying to enjoy 80mm or larger apertures on a budget, that's where the Quark shines. If larger aperture and finer details (if seeing allows) is what you're after, a Quark can bring that for a good price, but you will never have the contrast on the disc with it that a double stack will have. It's a personal thing, but I'd suggest you try to find a way to look through someone's stuff locally first. Looking through a 60mm double stack is so much different than looking through a single stack Quark when it comes to disc viewing. The Quark is great for looking at the limb at prominences, but a double stack smaller instrument just shows off the disc better with more contrast (lots more).

But yes, the Quark can do full discs visually no problem.

ST80 (masked to 40mm F10)

2" focuser

Quark

25mm plossl (can use binos without GPC for the same view but with two eyeballs)

39557553344_1206da721c_c.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 12 August 2020 - 09:38 PM.

• hopskipson likes this

#32 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:16 PM

Well, as per norm while waiting for replies I've been reading about the rusting issue, recommended replacement ITF filters,

Maier seems to be the replacement of choice, not a bad price, 

Not sure the seller will let me pull the side plate off to inspect it but I'll ask via email and maybe save a trip, 

The prism likes to slide off axis, and that needs to be checked also, can be done at the same time as the ITF inspection.

So seems the obvious question of size, from 40mm to 90mm, is the same rule of thumb about aperture true with the PST or is it a TFOV thing.

So you haven’t yet got or just got a PST and you are looking at replacement options in case it rusts or you want to inspect the prism alignment ?? What gives, I have had no problem with my couple of month old PST from B&H and I have transported it 14 mi. by boat ? What have I missed, if you read further I think those problems were with much older models ?

#33 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

LDW, I was drawn to the idea of a solar dedicated scope from a CL ad for a PST for $300, the seller got back tome today, it's over 10yrs old and sold to someone else.

I can get a PST double stack package for $850, it's newer and if there is a problem with it I could work a discount to cover the  rusted ITF, & I guess the prism can be fixed if need be, not sayin' it has either problem, but one never knows with a used package.

I'm thinking someone took that route then either bailed or stepped up rapidly and is using this sale of fund the next step.

Easy enough to check on it's age before purchase.

A single stack 50mm from Lunt with pressure tuning is about the same cost, $832

The second stack filter would be near the same price. together $1,600 

I also asked about the Daystar scout package deal with battery pack for $795.

Then a quark comes in new at $1,200 new, that would go into my ST-90

All of these are options at this point, ant input you might have would be appreciated on any of these options.

#34 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:20 PM

I bought my PST, a single, at B&H a couple of months ago for $550 with free shipping even to Canada. I also had a 90mm, f6.2 sitting around not getting a lot of use so I installed a Baader White Lite filter on it also from B&H. I did it all because I wanted to experience this direction of astronomy and up to now I don’t regret it for a moment ! Good luck and I feel confident you won’t regret it as well !

#35 cptbobrfh

cptbobrfh

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

Hi Bob,  I have to disagree.  With my ST80 or any scope with less than 450mm focal length you can get a full disk.

I was referring to his ST-90 scope at f/l 500mm. Per Daystar site,it state's full disc views possible with refractors UP TO 450MM F/L.

Edited by cptbobrfh, 13 August 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#36 cptbobrfh

cptbobrfh

Messenger

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:20 AM

Heya,

You can totally view full disc with a Quark, it just requires a near 400mm focal length and ideally a 2" focuser. It's quite common with the venerable ST80's and 72mm scopes out there. I much preferred the view of the sun in my ST80 + Quark over a single stack PST by quite a fair margin. But, a double stacked PST is a different animal and presented a much nicer contrasty full disc. The Quark really pulls away when you're trying to see structures in higher resolution and finer detail, where aperture is needed, so when you're trying to enjoy 80mm or larger apertures on a budget, that's where the Quark shines. If larger aperture and finer details (if seeing allows) is what you're after, a Quark can bring that for a good price, but you will never have the contrast on the disc with it that a double stack will have. It's a personal thing, but I'd suggest you try to find a way to look through someone's stuff locally first. Looking through a 60mm double stack is so much different than looking through a single stack Quark when it comes to disc viewing. The Quark is great for looking at the limb at prominences, but a double stack smaller instrument just shows off the disc better with more contrast (lots more).

But yes, the Quark can do full discs visually no problem.

ST80 (masked to 40mm F10)

2" focuser

Quark

25mm plossl (can use binos without GPC for the same view but with two eyeballs)

39557553344_1206da721c_c.jpg

Very best,

I was referring to his ST-90 fl/ 500mm. Daystar site says full disc possible with refractors UP TO 450MM F/L.

Edited by cptbobrfh, 13 August 2020 - 07:51 AM.

#37 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 60N, Helsinki, Finland

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:40 AM

I recommend a new PST single stack, no rust problem. You can see more than enough already with it, amazing views! My recommendation is not overdoing things.

GL!

Edited by viewer, 13 August 2020 - 10:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics