•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is a Paracorr Overkill?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:33 PM

The Paracorr was devised for faster dobs to ensure that stars to the outer perimeter of your view are pinpoint instead of seagull-like.  But does it add anything to lunar observations?

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:50 PM

It doesn't hurt.

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:39 PM

Coma severely blurs the image on the periphery.  Although this can be most noticeable with stars, because they start to look like comets, coma distorts all images. On the Moon, this effectively destroys fine detail.  Even on an f/6 Newtonian, looking at the periphery of the field, detail is greatly reduced compared to the center of the field, unless you use a coma corrector.  But, if you don't care to look anywhere but the center of the field, and move the scope around to recenter, then you might not mind.  

• Augustus likes this

#4 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback.   On my next Lunar night I will test my Paracorr to determine if it makes any difference to my eye. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics