•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What was that on the SW limb starting about 4pm to 6pm ET on 8/11/20?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 02:27 PM

Yesterday, 8/11/20, I was visually observing, single stack Lunt 80, from about 4pm ET to at least 6pm ET. There was a prominence, or something, on the SW limb. It was rather long wedge shape object. One end was apparently floating the other anchored by a thick pillar. GONG image 20200811235950Bh.jpg shows the starting point. After about 20 minutes it changed shape and didn't stop as long as I was watching, until about 6pm. It was one of the most amazing displays I've seen.

Was it a dynamic prominence, a flare, or something else? Do any the solar observatories have a movie available from that time?

I was hoping someone would have posted comments or a video by now. If an active sun produces more of the same I will have to get into solar imaging my drawing skills are not up to the task! 

What did I see?

Joe

#2 statfreak

statfreak

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

I was hoping to see a photo, too. It was very interesting to watch. I thought it looked like a Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer from Star Wars until it started collapsing. I was observing it around 12noon to 1pm PDT. That would have been 3pm -4pm your time.

Upon close examination, it looked like three prominences. The first was the main anchor, the second was almost anchored and formed the middle of the triangle and the third was detached and formed the front nose of the triangle. That's my best guess.

Edited by statfreak, 12 August 2020 - 03:02 PM.

#3 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Apollo

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

It was a surging prom that floated off. I watched it for about an hour yesterday, and it was quite dynamic. I believe it's associated with a new active region swinging into view, but I'm clouded out right now to check it out.
  • BYoesle likes this

#4 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:13 PM

Flares usually don't last that long, so I'm guessing it was a region with eruptive prominence activity.

Examples of surge proms on the limb:

Surge prominence.jpg

Surge 3.jpg

Edited by BYoesle, 13 August 2020 - 06:10 AM.

• Clearskyguy, mikerepp, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#5 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

I was hoping to see a photo, too. It was very interesting to watch. I thought it looked like a Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer from Star Wars until it started collapsing. I was observing it around 12noon to 1pm PDT. That would have been 3pm -4pm your time.

Upon close examination, it looked like three prominences. The first was the main anchor, the second was almost anchored and formed the middle of the triangle and the third was detached and formed the front nose of the triangle. That's my best guess.

David,

Like smoke, clouds or a Rorschachit Test, was easy to see many shapes as it evolved. That was one of the great things about watching. At one point I was looking at a large mouth bass with an open mouth, an eye, and a tail. It was an amazing display.

Joe 

#6 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

It was a surging prom that floated off. I watched it for about an hour yesterday, and it was quite dynamic. I believe it's associated with a new active region swinging into view, but I'm clouded out right now to check it out.

NorthernlatAK

Since we agree it was a prominence, My Solar Observing Guide says there are two kinds eruptive and quiescent. This was definitely NOT quiescent so it must have been a surging or eruptive prominence. I do hope an animation shows up. 

Joe

#7 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

Flares usually don't last that long, so I'm guessing it was a region with eruptive prominence activity.

Examples of surge proms on the limb:

attachicon.gifSurge prominence.jpg

attachicon.gifSurge 3.jpg

Bob,

This erupting prominence was one of the most dynamic events I've seen on the sun. I hope the active region it hints at is as spectacular.

Your 3rd surge example is an amazing image. What equipment was used?

Thanks for posting your images all 3 are great illustrations.

Joe

#8 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

Hi Joe,

You've discovered why H alpha solar observing is so addictive waytogo.gif

Those images are via a pair of "double stacked" early Coronado Tucson (pre-Meade 2000's era) SM90's and a BF30 used with an ED100/900 synta-sourced OTA. I use a PGR (now FLIR) Chameleon with Firecapture and RegiStax6 for imaging.

solar telescopes.jpg

#9 Clearskyguy

Clearskyguy

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:33 PM

Bob,

Very impressive results. 

Thanks!

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics