•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Accuracy of ASIAir Pro vs PHD2/Sharpcap?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fastfiveoh

fastfiveoh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Hey Guys,

Since my rig I am building will be portable and taken down every time I am out, I am looking at ways of shaving setup time.  Right now my plan is to use SharpCap with my guide scope/camera  for Polar Align, then use PHD2 for autoguiding.

With that said, I have been watching the reviews on the ASIAir pro.  How is the accuracy of that (using a tablet) vs a laptop with PHD2/Sharpcap?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 14 August 2020 - 12:24 PM

Hey Mike!

Great question. I am using the ASIAir Pro exclusively for imaging now instead of the laptop. I started with APT, moved to N.I.N.A (which is AMAZING btw). I still use my Polemaster for alignment (then take the laptop back inside), but the ASIAir pro has a polar alignment feature as well. I just haven't messed with it. From everything being set up inside, to getting everything setup outside, aligned, and imaging now takes 20 - 30min total. The guiding in ASIAir seems to be a copy of PHD2, so it's straight forward. Accuracy wise, the platesolving, guiding, imaging, etc. has been great. I dont think I'm willing to go back to a laptop. The ASIAir/iPad is just too easy.

I do need to setup the wifi range extender I picked up, because that IS an issue with the ASIAir (wifi range). Not bad, just not great either.

*The BIGGEST thing that helped speed up my setup was cable management. I'll get some photos tonight, but everything stays attached to the scope (cables, cameras, etc) so I just have to slide it on and plug in the cables. I now have no issues with meridian flips (also automated with ASIAir - can be turned off) and tangled cables. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics