•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

(Probably) easy question with Nikon D90 + Evolution 8 Photos

astrophotography beginner Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kman20

Kman20

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

Pardon - just cannot get a photo at night - scoured the internet so wouldn't ask. dumb question here, but last resort. Nikon D90 + Evolution 8, manual mode, lid off / cover off, think all adapter parts, stick it in I think the right way, and can see during the day.

Then, I try at night, even at a bright moon or anything, and zippo. Using every internet astro photo setting too.  I've attached a few photos - any and all help really appreciated.photo 1.jpg Photo 2.jpg Photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

The moon should not be too much of a problem. You're probably not pointing directly at the moon. The whole moon will not fit in the image. As for other darker items you may need to expose for many seconds or minutes.

#3 spereira

spereira

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:13 PM

Moving to DSLR ...

smp

#4 Kman20

Kman20

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

I guess my key question is if I’m actually put it in correctly or if there is a piece I’m missing / some type of focus piece?

i tried with full moon (anything at all) and it’s still black

#5 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:29 PM

If it works in the daytime on trees off in the distance it should work on the moon. The reason it is black could be you're not pointing at the moon or your exposure is too short or you're way out of focus, though focus on far away trees should be pretty close to being focused for the moon. The ISO should probably be much higher. An exposure of 1/320 second will probably be too short for the moon. Yes it is daytime on the moon but the moon is very dark, like tar. For something like a planetary nebula you could need several minutes of exposure.

#6 Kman20

Kman20

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:31 PM

Thank you.  I’ll bang the tripod on my head again and try tonight.  When you looked at the photos of how I assembled the adapter etc., did it look right?

#7 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:50 PM

It's been decades since I hooked up a DSLR to a C8. The pieces don't look like what I had. Why is there an eyepiece in the photo? Are you using eyepiece projection? If so then you're not at f/10. You don't want to use an eyepiece except for possibly imaging planets.

#8 Kman20

Kman20

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

Took tripod and hit myself on head.  What am I doing wrong? Am I missing a piece? Hooking it up wrong?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics