•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wombat286

wombat286

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: So. Virginia

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

I have a CGEM-800, is there a adapter that will allow me to take the OTA off and just mount my camera to the saddle after going through alignment routine? Or is this even advisable?

Thanks

#2 Nemesis_318

Nemesis_318

Explorer 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

The only problem you may run into is balancing the mount.  I have the same mount and encountered this very problem.  The counterweights are too heavy.   If you mount a lightweight camera like a Canon Rebel and lightweight lens it might work fine with no counterweight.  The other option is to piggyback the camera on top of your C8.

#3 wombat286

wombat286

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: So. Virginia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:55 AM

Yeah thought about the piggyback option, was thinking the mount might do better with just DSLR on it. Piggyback would be less trouble than taking the OTA off.

Thanks

#4 TL2101

TL2101

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:16 PM

I mount my camera directly to my CGEM mount attached to a AT60ed refractor. I recently upgraded my DSLR and mount it with a 500mm camera lens attached. I tried to piggyback it on my C8 but it puts too much stress on the mount. I had the motors slip once so I no longer piggyback the camera with the refractor or a large heavy lens. It would work fine with a smaller lens.

I use a ADM D2V Losmandy Dovetail Adapter (purchased at OPT) to convert from a D series mount to a V series mount. I attach a Astro-Tech 7" short universal vixen style plate (purchased at Astronomics) to my camera lens. That way I can switch between my CGEM and Vixen style mounts.

Here is a photo of the setup. I use the lighter counter weights from my CG-4 mount to get it to balance.

Attached Thumbnails

• AT60ED 006-003.JPG
  • AT60ED 005-002.JPG

Edited by TL2101, 13 August 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:40 PM

iOptron makes some small counterweights that fit the CGEM.  Check the shaft diameter since iOptron has several different size shafts.

When using a camera and telephoto lens on my CGEM or AVX, I do the alignment with the camera!  No need to put the telescope on to align.  The grid on the camera's screen in Live View is accurate enough.  (There are menu settings on Nikon and Canon DSLRs to turn on the grid.)  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics