•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Totally Disappointed with Celestron

Celestron equipment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:52 PM

Hi.

I am not sure if this is an appropriate forum for this, but it might help someone else who may need to send something to Celestron for repair/adjustment.

I had sent mine in for cleaning and collimation because I had carelessly removed the corrector plate and was not sure if I installed it back correctly although I had collimated it afterwards, so Celestron recommended I send it in for them to deal with it because they said collimating is not all that matters. Not being sure if they actually bothered with rotational alignment of the corrector and primary, something they had told me was critical, the scope came in at least very obviously clean. They say they cleaned and collimated, and I am not sure if collimation actually included corrector alignment.

In any case, today I received my C8 EdgeHD back, terribly packed; you would not pack a pair of shoes the way they had packed this sensitive instrument. I don't know how the knowledge of carelessness of Celestron, of all places, would have helped me better prepare. I guess I could have sent them a return box, and that would have probably caused other issues. But I did discuss with them ahead of time about not having the original packaging, and they said it was okay.

Here is the link to pictures I took of the packaging. I do want to complain to Celestron but cannot find a good link for someone that would actually be looking for feedback.

Farzad

Edited by Farzad_K, 12 August 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#2 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

The package looks like crap, but did the scope arrive okay?

#3 gene williams

gene williams

Mariner 2

• Loc: Western Missouri

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

at least they affixed the shipping label nice and straight lol.gif  Not

Edited by gene williams, 12 August 2020 - 04:01 PM.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

IMO the box and outside can look like anything as long as the inside contents arrive safe and sound.

However IMO it should also arrive in decent collimation which might not be the case here as the OTA may have

had some excessive movement due to lack of packaging.

#5 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

That was all the packing in the box?!?!

Peace...

#6 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

That was all the packing in the box?!?!

Peace...

Insofar as securing the scope from moving about, yes, that was it. There was more packing material on top, but the scope easily moved about in the box when I picked it up.

#7 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:12 PM

IMO the box and outside can look like anything as long as the inside contents arrive safe and sound.

However IMO it should also arrive in decent collimation which might not be the case here as the OTA may have

had some excessive movement due to lack of packaging.

Scope could move about freely when I picked up the box from ground where UPS had left it as if it was a pair of shoes. I won't know about collimation issues until I try it out. I won't even know if I can focus the scope.

#8 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:12 PM

at least they affixed the shipping label nice and straight lol.gif  Not

...but they used the wrong zip code and so the scope was going around in Oregon for a couple of days until UPS figured it out.

#9 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

The package looks like crap, but did the scope arrive okay?

From the appearance of it there is no damage. But I don't know if it needs to be collimated again. I paid them to collimate it.

#10 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:20 PM

I would be irked also but trying to stay positive you're blessed it wasn't shattered in the box with that little packing. But paying them to align the optics then getting back like this, grrrrrr.  noway.gif

Peace...

• Farzad_K likes this

#11 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

What did the box and packing you sent it to them look like?  I wonder why they didn't re-use that.

#12 UT_JimW

UT_JimW

Explorer 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:43 PM

Packing is a lost art. Sadly, after lots of similar shipments from Amazon, I'd expect that from them. Even BandH and Adorama, which used to be good, have gotten pretty bad of late. At one point they forgot that not having any packing under a box means no protection on that side, but at least they'd fill it so it didn't move around. Now, even that seems to be asking too much.

The stupid thing is that it wouldn't take more than pennys of material (bought in bulk) and a minute of time to have wrapped the scope tightly in a cocoon of some kind of protection or bubble wrap.

Yes, I did expect better of Celestron. Hopefully this post makes a difference.

And yes, while it is obnoxious to store them, the post is a shout-out for keeping original packing for expensive scopes, cameras, and mounts.

Good luck, I hope your scope turns out okay.

#13 4BINNI

4BINNI

Vostok 1

• Loc: Edwards Co. Il.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

They deliver pizza in nicer boxes than that.  And packed better too!

• Farzad_K likes this

#14 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:48 PM

Based on all the space in the box, I am going to assume that the plastic bag looking material started out as inflatable bag packing material, not something I would ever use with a massive object being shipped.

Coincidentally, I just had my move estimated by one of the two major shippers, with the estimator telling me, when I asked him, that they use plain, unprinted, newsprint for packing material

I have been using rosin paper for quite some time in shipping telescopes, and my oh so fragile 6-inch Jaegers lens went cross country four times with compacted newsprint as it's only packing material. Of course, the first trip was in 1969!

Amazon uses the inflatables all the time, since they are probably convenient and fairly environmentally responsible (compared to styrofoam). But when anything with any sort of mass concentration arrives, some or all of the bags are usually popped, as happened with the packaging of the brake pads I just received. 

UPS both ways! An excellent example of why I stick to FedEx and the USPS.

Of course, there's no way to tell what the box looked like upon its arrival at Celestron. 

I think they absolutely should have used different packing material and replaced the box if necessary.

Considering the massive discounts that FedEx Ground gives to regular shippers (Goodwill ships things at unbelievably low prices by FedEx ground, and even I get something like a 10-15% discount as an occasional shipper), I can't imagine why some large companies continue to use UPS.

Edited by markb, 12 August 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#15 organge

organge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

...but they used the wrong zip code and so the scope was going around in Oregon for a couple of days until UPS figured it out.

Might be that someone on the way opened it and didn't package it back properly.

#16 KNak

KNak

Explorer 1

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

This is exactly the situation I'm in and what I wanted to do in the Fall with my C11 XLT (what they recommended).  Are you going to try to get confirmation from them as to whether they performed the rotational alignment?  I don't want to send it across the continent to them at considerable shipping expense only to clean and collimate by tilting the secondary.  They said a complete bench alignment.

Keith

#17 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:28 PM

From the appearance of it there is no damage. But I don't know if it needs to be collimated again. I paid them to collimate it.

Any SCT, even brand new and direct from the dealer, perfectly packed, will usually need the collimation tweaked at least a bit prior to using. And, SCT'S WILL need collimation from time to time, and no one I know sends it to the manufacturer to have it collimated.  As with Newtonian Reflectors, Maksutov Cassegrains,  Mak Newts and Scmidt Newts, collimation is something to be learned, and accomplished,  by the scope's owner. 

As to focusing your scope, there's no reason to expect it won't come to focus,  assuming you're using eyepieces of correct focal length for the seeing conditions.  And, if for photography,  if you're using the correct spacing for your camera. 

Owner's Manuals are your friends here.

I totally agree with junomike that the condition of the box doesn't matter, as long as its cargo is safe.

Edited by Bean614, 13 August 2020 - 08:09 AM.

#18 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Kind of brings back memories in a topic I posted amongst the forums good old fashioned customer services also aftersales care however I cannot 100% say the box wasn’t chucked around via couriers.i must admit tho seems to me thay came across the first box thay came across and just plunked the scope in it kind of thing not good really for a well known brand name.surly it wouldn’t of hurt them to put four pieces of foam in place so the OTA was wedged in place then back filled with packaging polystyrene.

#19 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:10 PM

Did you ship it to Celestron in the original OTA packaging? That is why I save all original OTA packaging as well as the original packaging for my mounts. That makes it much easier ship any of those items back to the OEM or anyone I may buy those items from me.

#20 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:18 PM

Hi.

I am not sure if this is an appropriate forum for this, but it might help someone else who may need to send something to Celestron for repair/adjustment.

I had sent mine in for cleaning and collimation because I had carelessly removed the corrector plate and was not sure if I installed it back correctly although I had collimated it afterwards, so Celestron recommended I send it in for them to deal with it because they said collimating is not all that matters. Not being sure if they actually bothered with rotational alignment of the corrector and primary, something they had told me was critical, the scope came in at least very obviously clean. They say they cleaned and collimated, and I am not sure if collimation actually included corrector alignment.

In any case, today I received my C8 EdgeHD back, terribly packed; you would not pack a pair of shoes the way they had packed this sensitive instrument. I don't know how the knowledge of carelessness of Celestron, of all places, would have helped me better prepare. I guess I could have sent them a return box, and that would have probably caused other issues. But I did discuss with them ahead of time about not having the original packaging, and they said it was okay.

Here is the link to pictures I took of the packaging. I do want to complain to Celestron but cannot find a good link for someone that would actually be looking for feedback.

Farzad

Wow amazing packaging, the employee who did this work has mastered the art of not giving a blip.

This tube is especially expensive too...  no respect.

I had good customer service in the past with Celestron, this may be the fault of 1 person only with very low discipline and ruining a good name.

#21 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

You really need to contact Celestron. Don't rule out the possibility the carrier opened the package to inspect the contents (especially if the box was knowingly damaged) and failed to repack it correctly. I have had this happen. Celestron needs to know either way.

• markb and Bistromath like this

#22 dkb

dkb

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:08 PM

Would make sense to me if all the companies would have a policy of charging to provide proper shipping protection if the original box wasn't sent with it to begin with ( or at least something that provides equivalent protection).  Otherwise what is the point in sending an OTA in a box back to customer "protected" like that?

Edited by dkb, 12 August 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#23 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:42 PM

My answer for Celestron was simple.

I gave them a shot, they blew it.

As a customer I have choices, and I've chosen to not repeat any business with them, or with Synta Corp.

Celestron has been flushed from the bathroom of my life.

#24 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:32 AM

I think that package got opened/messed with in transport. If it traveled most of the way packed that badly, it would have been damaged. No way it would have arrived intact. So I think it got searched near the destination and repacked badly.

#25 Bistromath

Bistromath

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Minnesota, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:55 AM

The packaging certainly looks terrible, but the box looks like it may have sustained damage in transit. If the box was damaged, it may have been repacked/retaped by the carrier. If that is the case, then the problem is not with Celestron.

Have you had a chance to use the scope to verify if it arrived without damage?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics