•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES Costco Dob Focuser position

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

Does anyone know if the secondary cage on this can be set up so that the focuser is at a more traditional angle?  I know I asked this same question about the regular ES 10" and later found out that it had mounting points that allowed the cage to be rotated 45 degrees, but I don't know if the Costco version has the same capability and have not been able to answer by looking at videos.

Also, ES lists the weight of the scope itself as 44 lbs?  Is that really correct?  My 12" Orion only weighs 50.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:07 PM

The conventional truss  ES dob has a UTA that can be attached in multiple orientations.

I don't believe the Costco version can be attached in an orientation different than the one in the picture.

A drill, 4 new holes, and a tap would allow you to rotate the UTA, say, 30° if you wish.

But it doesn't come that way.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:31 PM

The conventional truss  ES dob has a UTA that can be attached in multiple orientations.

I don't believe the Costco version can be attached in an orientation different than the one in the picture.

A drill, 4 new holes, and a tap would allow you to rotate the UTA, say, 30° if you wish.

But it doesn't come that way.

Yeah I checked with ES and they said the same thing as far as not being able to rotate.  I had guessed that the bottom ring could be removed and rotated with new holes being drilled.

I am still a bit put off by the weight. I mean the truss assembly is only 2 lbs lighter than the 12" Lightbridge truss assembly.  That is crazy.  

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:06 AM

It is not an ultra lite, it's a compact scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics