•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you do to your binoculars today?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:41 PM

Just general stuff you’ve done to your binoculars that maybe don’t deserve it’s own dedicated thread. I’ll start...

Today I got the courage to remove the RH objective with eccentric ring on my Tasco 7x50 mod 124 to get at a 3mm spot of fungus on the internal surface of the lens that had just been eating at me. I tried initially but the lock ring just wouldn’t budge even with an optical spanner and brute force. So a few days ago I put some penetrating oil on the lock ring threads and let it set. I also marked the lens eccentric ring position in several locations so I could get it reinstalled properly. Collimation is dead on these and I didn’t want to mess it up. Well success, the ring finally broke free and the lens cleaned up beautifully. No hit of fungus or coating damage whatsoever. Rest of the internals are spotless. Put everything back together exactly as it came apart according to the alignment marks and collimation appears to be spot on. 

469843B7-9F38-4E20-9317-5392B7E9BE59.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs and aa5te like this

#2 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 05:45 PM

Also some handy items for quick touch ups on your binoculars. Paint pens in gloss and flat black come in very handy. The “aluminum black pen” works especially well for small scratches on anodized aluminum. Similar to gun bluing pens. It’s a dull black btw. 

3DE3ED65-23BC-442E-9962-F5804213C8FC.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, Rich V., BRCoz and 2 others like this

#3 juniperlover25

juniperlover25

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

hello do you know how to set up a celestron c4r telescope? i need help desperately. :) thank you!

#4 DrJ1

DrJ1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on the aluminum black pen.  I've done very similar work on binocs including on Tascos.  However, I rarely get everything back properly with good collimation on the first try. Sometimes, many tries!  My compliments.  DrJ1

#5 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:53 PM

I keep a several binoculars stored in a box in my closet and re-dried the desiccant yesterday...does that count?

#6 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:16 AM

I sold yesterday one of my binoculars: the Porst 8x56.  It was a very nice bino, but i did not use it often and, despite having a FOV of 6.5 degrees, it showed tunnel view compared with my other 8x binoculars.  I am a little bit sad to let it go, but i am focusing on having a smaller collection that i use and not only vitrine items.

Binos_58.jpg

so... one less..  

Clear skies

Carlos

• Jon Isaacs, harbinjer and Foss like this

#7 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

A very good thread! Mii laiks'.

Had some Baader AstroSolar Film from previous life, so why not try that to my fresh Canon 10x30 IS II pair?

I mainly followed the Baader instructions. However, the design of the Canon's objectives differs from normal binoculars, so I had to adjust a bit...

Don't mind about the bad looking construction. It is all cardboard, tape and toilet paper sleeves... Took a few hours, but was fun altogether. These (and the film) are not meant to last for ever, anyway.

Never expecting to see any details at 10x, but the feeling of safely watching our home star is something. I've managed only a few little glimps so far, so we'll see...

P8150005b.jpg

Edited by Pikku-iikka, 15 August 2020 - 06:42 AM.

#8 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:16 AM

hello do you know how to set up a celestron c4r telescope? i need help desperately. smile.gif thank you!

Good morning, that’s a very open ended question whether regarding collimation of the telescope itself, alignment and operation of the mount? I think this is a better question asked in the refractor forum. Also I did find a manual in case you might need one. I believe it’s correct for your setup. Here’s the link.

https://s3.amazonaws...s/C4R_21016.pdf

• Albie likes this

#9 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:23 AM

A very good thread! Mii laiks'.

Had some Baader AstroSolar Film from previous life, so why not try that to my fresh Canon 10x30 IS II pair?

I mainly followed the Baader instructions. However, the design of the Canon's objectives differs from normal binoculars, so I had to adjust a bit...

Don't mind about the bad looking construction. It is all cardboard, tape and toilet paper sleeves... Took a few hours, but was fun altogether. These (and the film) are not meant to last for ever, anyway.

Never expecting to see any details at 10x, but the feeling of safely watching our home star is something. I've managed only a few little glimps so far, so we'll see...

attachicon.gifP8150005b.jpg

Great project! I would love to try solar viewing with my 20x80’s sometime. 

#10 Pikku-iikka

Pikku-iikka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

Great project! I would love to try solar viewing with my 20x80’s sometime. 

Go for it. With those giants our sun would like marvellous I think.

I bought this small wonderful pairs of bino's, and got bored of the cloydy nights. Days have been sunny, so to see something - let's try something.

Baader AstroSolar films are on the market, and do not cost much...

• Compressorguy likes this

#11 Charleybird

Charleybird

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

A neighbour asked me about buying a really cheap telescope for his family to try.  Unable to advise other than checking an astro shop online, I instead offered him the loan of some half-decent 9x63 Inpro to see how they got on with looking up. 

I had to re-tighten the right barrel which had previously come loose at the gold band...there's a photo of the 9x63 here:

https://www.worthpoi...tfall-308214997

They seemed to be fine so I put them onto a manfrotto tripod/head (probably worth triple the binocular).

Looking forward to some feedback.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics