•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hackneyed Saturn 2020-08-13...plus a ponderment

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:05 PM

Seeing nosedived when I got back out to shoot Saturn. I shot for an hour hoping things might improve, but they didn't; the first 3-minute window was the best of the lot—remarkable only for its banality:

001_final.jpg

Saturn, Rhea, Tethys, Dione, Mimas, Enceladus 2020-08-12 12:33 UTC

I had to synthesize reality for the moons. In poor seeing, Mimas and Enceladus flicker right at the noise floor of my sensor. So while I brought in the brighter moons by dabbing a layer mask on their centroids in the stretched image, I use a scaled screenshot from Stellarium as an overlay to find the centroids of Mimas and Enceladus. Their smudges are highly seeing dependent; I wouldn't say these were anywhere close to obvious.

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 12 August 2020 - 07:06 PM.

• Kenny V., John Rogers, troyt and 8 others like this

#2 Don L1930

Don L1930

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:30 PM

Looks marvelous. Thanks for posting it.

Don

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:58 AM

Thanks Don!…and to all for the likes!

My disappointment in Saturn is just a reflection of my 7-in aperture in typical outback seeing. A very good result would resolve the polar hexagon. And the cat's meo is a major storm.

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics