•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Special Forest Fire smoke atmospheric Filter

dslr
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:19 PM

We have multiple forest fires here in Colorado.  Morning seeing condition are OK, fade into the afternoon and by 5pm the atmosphere is thick with smoke.  

This morning I was imaging with H-alpha.  At 6pm notice that the sun, to my naked eye, looked very similar to what I was looking at earlier in the morning.  Shot these with my Sonny A7R4 200-600mm and a 90mm macro, both G lenses.  

https://imgur.com/NRUl9Ju

https://imgur.com/MlN4E9S

Edited by chemman, 12 August 2020 - 10:20 PM.

• philmor56, rigel123, hopskipson and 4 others like this

#2 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

It's that time of year... only good thing are the sunrises and sunsets...

• chemman likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

Lovely regardless, it's really interesting when we have something blocking the sun enough to see the sphere with our eyes minus all the extra glow. Reminds you just how big it is there and how interesting it is, from a thought experiment point of view, that you're looking at a friggn star!

Very best,

#4 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

One time I was able to see the sun through unaided binoculars at Clearwater beach in Florida. I could clearly see sun spots. The clouds were just right to filter the sun.

Hank

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 ASTROTRUCK

ASTROTRUCK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2020 - 03:22 PM

"One time I was able to see the sun through unaided binoculars " - one time well ...

back in 1980's solar max i have a full disk image with a sunspot group strung out along the sun's  " equator " covering approx 1/4 to 1/3 the solar diameter - didnt see that in last solar max -

take it in stride guys solar max is coming unless corona 19 destroys it

BE SAFE ALL !!

#6 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:56 AM

Very nice! Very nice indeed! And brings back memories.

The shot that I use as an icon here on Cloudy Nights was similarily taken. In the summer of 2015, wildfires in Alberta spread smoke across most of North America. I didn't have a solar telescope at the time, but the smoke allowed me to capture a photo with just my Nikon D810 and a regular telephoto lens way over here on the east coast of the continent. In fact, I caught sunspot AR2403 in the shot and it sparked an interest in solar photography.  The shot is on my Flickr site:

20892960522_83d5e1024f_o.jpgGiant Sunspots On Our Yellow Dwarf Sun by Zircon_215, on Flickr

• chemman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics