•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

need a list of targets for a tv-85

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Los!

Los!

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:46 PM

one caveat....it is only using the included 20mm plossl.   Its all I have right now.  Next purchase might be the nagler 3-6 zoom for planet/moon and maybe dabbling into double stars.  New mount arrives tomorrow so I can finally get the TV under the stars again.

Thanks!

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:20 PM

That's a really great telescope. But instead of taking it too far into magnification why not try something like a 13T6 Nagler? Or a 9mm Baader Morpheus? To get the real sweet spot for summer observing? And maybe add a nebula filter like a narrowband UHC or O-III?

Targets include approximately everything. That's a really great telescope.

Edited by havasman, 12 August 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#3 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:38 AM

I just received a TV-85.  Views with 18.2, 13, 9, 7 and 5mm DeLites were great, as were

the views with 17.3mm Delos, and 6mm Ethos.

The 3-6mm zoom may be a good eyepiece for some scopes, but one of the reasons I

don't have one is the smaller FOV, and exit pupil.  Looking through a TV-85 @ 3mm

(with a barlow) I can definitely notice the darkening from the smaller exit pupil.

If you are looking @ planets, wide-fields are great for drift time if you are not motorized

on an EQ.

You may want to try an intermediate focal length first.

HTH.

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:22 AM

Your telescope has a focal length of 600mm.  At 30x, you're going to want to stick to large open clusters, bright globular clusters, bright emission nebula, and some of the larger and brighter galaxies.  At this time of year, Collinder 399, IC 4665, IC 4756, Kemble 1, M2-M8, M11, M13, M22-M25, M27, M31, M34, M39, M57, M81, M82, NGC 6633, the Double Cluster, and Stock 2 are potential targets.

#5 JoshUrban

JoshUrban

Mariner 2

• Loc: Indian Head, MD

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:40 AM

Wow that's a sweet scope!  I like the suggestions of the medium and low power eyepieces for the great strength of that platform:  beautiful widefield views!  The summer Milky Way should be incredible.  If a 31 nagler is a bit too expensive at the moment, a 27mm Panoptic can be snapped up used for half the price on the classifieds.  (Although the 31 Nagler would be AWESOME!!!)  

The aforementioned targets are great, and just scanning the Milky Way should be a blast, too!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics