Jump to content

  •  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense with a Piggybacked Scope

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fred72933

fred72933

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2019
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:50 PM

I have a CPC-800 with an Orion ED-80 apo piggybacked.

I have a StarSense on order from OPT and it will be the first of September before it arrives.

 

Looking at my setup tonight, I got to wondering, will the ED-80 interfere with the StarSense field of view?

 

Anyone have a similar setup and experience?

 

Fred



#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

    Soyuz

  • *****
  • Posts: 3,688
  • Joined: 07 Apr 2016
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:33 AM

A Starsense camera has FOV of merely 6.88° x 5.16°.

 

It is therefore highly unlikely that you will encounter a problem. 


  • fred72933 likes this

#3 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

    Mariner 2

  • *****
  • Posts: 212
  • Joined: 14 Nov 2015
  • Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:27 AM

I never had any problems with starsense on my 11 when my 80mm was sitting on top.


  • fred72933 likes this

#4 fred72933

fred72933

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2019
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

A Starsense camera has FOV of merely 6.88° x 5.16°.

 

It is therefore highly unlikely that you will encounter a problem. 

Good deal. Guess I should download and read the manual before it gets here to stay ahead of the curve.



#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

    Soyuz

  • *****
  • Posts: 3,688
  • Joined: 07 Apr 2016
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

The Starsense manual isn't the best written document. But the fault is what it doesn't say.....

 

What most folk do is a dummy run in daylight (fair enough!). Then wonder why Starsense doesn't work as it should when they try in the dark. The reason is that Starsense asks you to input your <Location> only ONCE. If you abort that first (dummy) run as is probable, then your <Location> will default to Torrance, California (Celestron's HQ). You then need to manually input your <Location> via Menu. 

 

This catches 99.99% of new owners out. The other 0.01% live in California. 


  • Michael Harris, fred72933 and Newbutnotreallynew like this

#6 fred72933

fred72933

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2019
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:30 PM

I can already tell I might have to switch the bases. With the CPC800 and a piggybacked scope, the knobs of the big base may get in the way.

 

Does it come with a base for the small bracket or only the base for the large one?


Edited by fred72933, 13 August 2020 - 12:32 PM.


#7 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

    Soyuz

  • *****
  • Posts: 3,688
  • Joined: 07 Apr 2016
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:33 PM

You get two, one small, one large, but only one is appropriate to a CPC. But its footprint is small. Around 8 x 15 cms I guess. The SSA camera is quite small.


Edited by Noah4x4, 13 August 2020 - 12:36 PM.


#8 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

    Ranger 4

  • -----
  • Posts: 395
  • Joined: 07 Mar 2010
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:02 PM

If I recall the StarSense manual the CPC800 is a “special case” in terms of mounting the camera, it is detailed in the manual and not too hard to do. As for the HC defaulting back to Torrance CA, count me in as another one who got tripped up by that. The other day I was visiting a Facebook astronomy group and a member mentioned they had just ordered the new Limited Edition C8 Evolution, which includes the StarSense. I politely commented that they should expect a little learning curve with it, and the responses were, “No man, just push one button and you are ready to go!” I declined further comment.


  • mrki233 and fred72933 like this

#9 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 29 Jul 2020

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

The Starsense manual isn't the best written document. But the fault is what it doesn't say.....

 

What most folk do is a dummy run in daylight (fair enough!). Then wonder why Starsense doesn't work as it should when they try in the dark. The reason is that Starsense asks you to input your <Location> only ONCE. If you abort that first (dummy) run as is probable, then your <Location> will default to Torrance, California (Celestron's HQ). You then need to manually input your <Location> via Menu. 

 

This catches 99.99% of new owners out. The other 0.01% live in California. 

 

I'm so glad I kept reading this on this forum, so that was the one thing I didn't get tripped up by. I wonder if you used the GPS unit, would you still have to go into MENU in the HC to change your location for inital set up? (Assuming of course you did the test run and it defaulted back to California). 



#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

    Soyuz

  • *****
  • Posts: 3,688
  • Joined: 07 Apr 2016
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

I'm so glad I kept reading this on this forum, so that was the one thing I didn't get tripped up by. I wonder if you used the GPS unit, would you still have to go into MENU in the HC to change your location for inital set up? (Assuming of course you did the test run and it defaulted back to California). 

Good point, but not a straightforward answer.

 

If I use Starsense HC with my SkySync GPS then GPS works fine. 

 

If I use CPWI with my SkySync GPS then for some reason (which I have not fathomed out) I have to depend on Internet location services to input date/time/location.

 

I believe the CPC might have built in GPS. Not sure how that might work. But ensure all required user data is complete. 



#11 fred72933

fred72933

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2019
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

The other day I was visiting a Facebook astronomy group and a member mentioned they had just ordered the new Limited Edition C8 Evolution, which includes the StarSense. I politely commented that they should expect a little learning curve with it, and the responses were, “No man, just push one button and you are ready to go!” I declined further comment.

He will probably wind up coming here for answers or blame it on StarSense and swear it does not work.


  • Michael Harris likes this

#12 Raiders

Raiders

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 15 Jan 2020

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

My cpc has built in gps. It takes a few minutes to acquire satellite. Moving viewing locations is simple and easy

#13 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

    Vostok 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 133
  • Joined: 29 Jul 2020

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:59 PM

"If I use CPWI with my SkySync GPS then for some reason (which I have not fathomed out) I have to depend on Internet location services to input date/time/location."

 

You generally need to change the setting in the HC when you want it to pick up the skysync right (or so I've read, for times it doesn't do it automatically) perhaps when you use CPWI it just overrides that option all together? 



#14 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

    Soyuz

  • *****
  • Posts: 3,688
  • Joined: 07 Apr 2016
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:54 PM

"If I use CPWI with my SkySync GPS then for some reason (which I have not fathomed out) I have to depend on Internet location services to input date/time/location."

 

You generally need to change the setting in the HC when you want it to pick up the skysync right (or so I've read, for times it doesn't do it automatically) perhaps when you use CPWI it just overrides that option all together? 

We are getting off topic, but I have tried everything and discussed in TeamCelestron. CPWI, Starsense and my GPS device don't want to play nicely, yet with HC all work fine. However, it's no big deal as I can simply take user data from my computer's Internet location services that render GPS redundant (except where no Internet, like at dark sky sites). But that consideration apart, the OP should have no difficulty with what he wants to do.


  • Newbutnotreallynew likes this


CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


Recent Topics






Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics