•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet NEOWISE and SpaceX Starlink Satellites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MDieterich

MDieterich

Vendor (Planewave Instruments)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:52 PM

I set out to capture a timelapse video of Comet NEOWISE from Craters of the Moon National Monument and was amazed to see hundreds of SpaceX Starlink satellites pass during the edited video. The Starlink satellites pass on the left side of the video from 0:26 to 0:33 in rapid succession. Do you think the thousands of low earth orbit satellites will have a negative effect on the night sky when the full amount of satellites are rocketed into orbit in the coming years? In the video you will see Comet NEOWISE and some pretty spectacular green airglow fill the upper atmosphere over the few hours this timelapse was captured. 

Here is the video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/XITOkfe6StY

EXIF
Nikon Z6 24mm f/1.4 ISO20,000 4 second photos

Best regards,

Matt

• ewave, futuneral, wrnchhead and 2 others like this

#2 Astrophotonics

Astrophotonics

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Long Island, New York.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:50 PM

Sky Marshall Musk has stated " all your space belongs to me"

Attached Thumbnails

• 8fbe-1261885931e2.jpg

• MDieterich likes this

#3 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

Sky Marshall Musk has stated " all your space belongs to me"

I highly doubt that when they say they'll paint the reflective portions of the satellite black that they will be entirely hidden. Should be interesting especially for higher latitudes in Summer!

#4 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:07 AM

Considering that most people who want the internet already have it, launching all these satellites just strokes these billionaires egos.

• MDieterich, ewave, B 26354 and 1 other like this

#5 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

Considering that most people who want the internet already have it, launching all these satellites just strokes these billionaires egos.

That is an interesting point. I wonder how some of the third world countries or even people here in the US might make use of the broadband internet.

#6 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

That is an interesting point. I wonder how some of the third world countries or even people here in the US might make use of the broadband internet.

Those people are more worried about where their next meal is coming from instead of streaming a movie tonight on a computer they can’t afford.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics