•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 won't pickup my Celestron CGX Mount

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:04 PM

Hi all- going through the initial setup for PHD2 and can get by the first step where it recognizes the ZWO guide camera.

The next step where it attempts to connect to your mount and set your mount guide speed it doesn't see it. I've tried using both the ASCOM drivers for the general Celestron and the Celestron CPWI drivers and nothing. The error is "Could not establish instance of CPWI (ASCOM)."

In short, there's not connection to the mount to transmit guide signals.

As for the ASCOM side I've got the latest package downloaded as well as the drivers. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. CPWI sees and can control the mount so I know it's not a bad cable or connection of some sort.

I'm sure this is something simple I'm missing but I cannot figure it out. By the way I'm on a Dell XPS with the latest Windows 10 Pro updates.

I'd be happy to share what I can if I didn't provide enough to get this troubleshoot started.

Thanks all

PHD2 Error.PNG

PHD2 Error2.PNG

#2 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Was CPWI running and connected to the mount already? Both conditions must be met.

#3 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:45 AM

How are you connected to the mount?

Can Ascom connect to the mount with the Celestron Ascom driver?

Depending on when I connect my CGX, the com port changes and I have to go into the Ascom properties to select the correct com port before Ascom sees the mount.

#4 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

Hi John- thanks for the reply. 

I’m connected to the mount through the USB connection. 

I did read something about the COM port so I’ll take a look there next see if that might be the issue. 

#5 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:35 AM

Okay so i tried to connect again and the results are the same. I did go into PHD2 and made sure that COM4 was toggled.

The first error is using the Celestron ASCOM driver.

PHD2 Error3.PNG

The error below is using the CPWI ASCOM driver

PHD2 Error 4.PNG

For this instance I made sure the CPWI was on and that the mount was connected and working.

The event notes listed in the Ports USB Serial Device properties of COM4 in the device manager.

It appears that there still needs something to be installed but I cannot say what?

Events.PNG

Lastly a screenshot of the port settings.

Port Settings.PNG

#6 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

So you are connected via USB directly to the mount?

How about trying without PHD and CPWI running.

Connect via USB to the HC instead of the mount and see if Ascom will connect.

#7 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

So you are connected via USB directly to the mount?

How about trying without PHD and CPWI running.

Connect via USB to the HC instead of the mount and see if Ascom will connect.

Yes, I was connected directly via the mount USB.

I tried to connect via the HC and opened up ASCOM diagnostics and got this below. Now, I'm not sure what is supposed to happen from there but the tool seemed to lock up at that point. There was no setup dialog that appeared but I'm not well versed in this so I'm not positive what I should be seeing.

ASCOM.PNG

Also, I tried to connect to CPWI via the HC USB and it doesn't recognize the connection using that. The HC works fine though as I can slew with it still.

CPWI Error.PNG

Edited by Mapkos13, 13 August 2020 - 10:08 AM.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:19 AM

To get the Hand controller USB connection working you'll need a device driver for the virtual serial port (yes there's a USB-serial adapter built into the hand controller behind that USB connection). I'd get the Windows Prolific (PL) driver off of Mike Swanson's website. https://www.nexstars.../USBDrivers.htm

I might also go back and uninstall the ASCOM Celestron Unified Telescope driver, reboot and verify that CPWI via it's ASCOM driver still works. Then run PHD2 and see if it will connect via the CPWI ASCOM driver.

#9 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:22 AM

To get the Hand controller USB connection working you'll need a device driver for the virtual serial port (yes there's a USB-serial adapter built into the hand controller behind that USB connection). I'd get the Windows Prolific (PL) driver off of Mike Swanson's website. https://www.nexstars.../USBDrivers.htm

I might also go back and uninstall the ASCOM Celestron Unified Telescope driver, reboot and verify that CPWI via it's ASCOM driver still works. Then run PHD2 and see if it will connect via the CPWI ASCOM driver.

Thank you- let me work this through and see what happens.

#10 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:29 AM

All right so I went back and uninstalled every piece of astronomy software I had on the laptop. I figured it couldn't hurt and wanted to take any communication confusion out of the equation.

I downloaded the driver from Mike's site as suggested and after reinstalling ASCOM and CPWI i can confirm that the driver works and CPWI does recognize/connect to the mount via the HC through the mini-usb on the bottom. The slew controls work from the program as well so it looks like all works in this area.

On the HC it shows "Boot loader serial pass through 19.2k" Not sure what this means? I'm assuming it's basically saying everything is now controlled through the CPWI software and renders the HC unusable?

Connecting to PHD2 now it appears to have taken the proper driver and is recognized.

PHD2 Connect Screen.PNG

This is what the screen now looks like (mind you I'm in my house trying to correct this so the scope isn't "setup."

PHD2 Screen.PNG

Last shot is telling me that config needs to be down through the CPWI software.

PHD2 Config.PNG

So sadly, I'm actually not even sure where I'm at right now at this point. It looks like it's connected but I cannot say. I'm I at a standstill until tonight when I can try to make an alignment?

• perunwit likes this

#11 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:28 PM

Just an update:

Sky is shot around here so I'm in the house trouble shooting a bit.

Oddly enough the mount is now connecting via the USB connection whereas it only worked form the HC with the driver that Mclewis1 suggested I install.

Here are the latest screenshots. Also, I was reading the manual and I believe it states to select "on camera" for the mount and choose the Celestron driver for the Aux mount. Is this your experience or did I misinterpret something in the guide?

All seems to connect now but until I can get this outside I'm not sure I can go any further in getting this setup? Thanks again for all of your assistance here.

All connected.PNG

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

I'm glad it's now working (well positive until fully tested). Removing all the old stuff is indeed something that often really helps.

You might try a few mock alignments in the day time  (maybe just a "last alignment") just to see if everything is working (but not actually accurately aligned).

Yes, that bootloader message means the physical hand controller has been put into a state where it won't try and do an initial alignment. 

In PHD "on camera" setting is used when you want to connect the camera's ST-4 port to the mount's Autoguide port. Most folks don't do this anymore, and instead just use the shared USB connection for the mount positioning commands from the autoguider (PHD).

#13 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

On camera is definitely the wrong setting. Mount should be set to CPWI and Aux mount is not used. I would not connect through the hand controller. The USB connection should work a lot easier. It works flawlessly on mine. My first best guess is it's something to do with USB hubs. I had a ton of issues with this till I eliminated as many as possible. Now I have one USB connected to my laptop which goes to a hub at the mount that has a usb to the mount and one to my ZWO camera. The hub in my camera runs my guide camera and my filter wheel. Windows 10 has difficulty managing usb's it seems if you get to many. Usually would get a message saying I exceeded the magic number of hubs, but sometimes it would work kinda then it did really weird things. 

#14 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

On camera is definitely the wrong setting. Mount should be set to CPWI and Aux mount is not used. I would not connect through the hand controller. The USB connection should work a lot easier. It works flawlessly on mine. My first best guess is it's something to do with USB hubs. I had a ton of issues with this till I eliminated as many as possible. Now I have one USB connected to my laptop which goes to a hub at the mount that has a usb to the mount and one to my ZWO camera. The hub in my camera runs my guide camera and my filter wheel. Windows 10 has difficulty managing usb's it seems if you get to many. Usually would get a message saying I exceeded the magic number of hubs, but sometimes it would work kinda then it did really weird things. 

Thanks for the clarification. I actually did set it up as you described. Tonight looks good (finally). Probably should’ve never let that pass my lips! Also, I am using a USB hub so all is connected to that and that to my laptop. Keeping my fingers crossed I can actually get some functional testing done tonight and validate that it’s setup and working correctly. Fine tuning may come another night depending on how it goes. Appreciate the reply

#15 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

I was trying to set up a remote connection using a 20 meter repeated usb cable. Seems each repeater section would look like a hub to windows. It caused me grief for several nights till I scrapped it and put my laptop at my pier and then team viewer into it from my computer in the house. One definite fact about all this is it will sometimes drive you nuts trying to make everything play nicely together. Hope you get it working without anymore frustration than you already had.

#16 perunwit

perunwit

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

All right so I went back and uninstalled every piece of astronomy software I had on the laptop. I figured it couldn't hurt and wanted to take any communication confusion out of the equation.

I downloaded the driver from Mike's site as suggested and after reinstalling ASCOM and CPWI i can confirm that the driver works and CPWI does recognize/connect to the mount via the HC through the mini-usb on the bottom. The slew controls work from the program as well so it looks like all works in this area.

On the HC it shows "Boot loader serial pass through 19.2k" Not sure what this means? I'm assuming it's basically saying everything is now controlled through the CPWI software and renders the HC unusable?

Connecting to PHD2 now it appears to have taken the proper driver and is recognized.

attachicon.gifPHD2 Connect Screen.PNG

This is what the screen now looks like (mind you I'm in my house trying to correct this so the scope isn't "setup."

attachicon.gifPHD2 Screen.PNG

Last shot is telling me that config needs to be down through the CPWI software.

attachicon.gifPHD2 Config.PNG

So sadly, I'm actually not even sure where I'm at right now at this point. It looks like it's connected but I cannot say. I'm I at a standstill until tonight when I can try to make an alignment?

Hello everyone, I am quite new to this forum :) 

I would like say thanks for the help as I have been struggling myself with the CPWI Ascom Driver.

Once I have installed Prolific driver I tried to connect but I could only connect to CPWI. PHD2 still did not work. What helped me was removal of Celestron Ascom Driver, uninstalling of CPWI and ASCOM Platform. 

Once I have reinstalled ASCOM and CPWI (without adding generic Celestron Ascom Driver from ASCOM page) it began to work !!!! Now I can run a proper PEC training on my mount with PHD2 working :) 

Clear skies !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics