•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution HC Cradle - cordwrap solutions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:41 PM

The Evolution mount is an intelligently designed Alt-Az with built in battery which is great to avoid cordwrap. However, its hand controller cradle is designed to clip to a tripod leg which, given the short length of cable, can create cord wrap issues.

One can, of course, enable Cordwrap ON, but this has proven to be a bit hit or miss, notably during the development of CPWI. Most owners also prefer to have cordwrap off. Hence, owners of the 8" version have taken to affixing the HC Cradle to the mount carry handle, which works great, and offers a cordwrap free solution.

However, this alternative fixing fails with the 9.25" Evolution as the tripod legs are thicker. That means the 9.25" HC Cradle clip is too wide for the carry handle. Eventually, my 8" HC Cradle clip snapped as it isn't designed for this fixing and no amount of Gorrilla Glue would repair it. I did adapt it with Velcro, but it wasn't ideal. Hence, I also needed to find a solution.

Searches for a suitable part in the UK failed apart from 3D  printer DIY options (I don't have an expensive 3D printer).Then, I read about a part retailed by Starizona, who seem to offer all manner of neat accessories not available in the UK (like sorbithane gaskets to prevent a Fastar secondary mirror holder rotating when affixing Hyperstar.....but I digress). 

I had to import this from the USA and a $15 part cost me $36 shipping to the UK, but the Starizona Evolution HC Clip accessory that is designed to clip to the mount carry handle is a great solution for all Evolution models. Despatched from Arizona, it arrived in the UK within three days, which made me feel better about the shipping cost. But it is a great accessory, particularly if a USA resident and you don't take the international postage hit. Maybe Starizona could licence this to a UK supplier/manufacturer with a 3D printer?  Maybe Celestron could embrace it as a standard accessory? 

See https://starizona.co...control-bracket

Edited by Noah4x4, 12 August 2020 - 11:53 PM.

• king1522 and RobFresnoCA like this

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:43 AM

Hi noah

hope you are staying cooler than here in Texas (39C+)

neat solution for the hand control on the evolution.

just wondering on 3D printed parts.

i found out that one of local city libraries has a “technology center “ has 3D printers available to the public.

you might check around to see if you have anything like this .

i typically fab a part or 2 each week for various enhancements for my scopes/mounts.

costs me 10 cents a gram for the parts. 
most expensive part so far was around $6.

i have probably saved thousands of dollars over having custom parts machined.

take care

steve

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

Only 30° freak weather here. Far too hot! At 39° I would not leave my house.

I had not previously heard of any UK public libraries making available 3D printers. So I Googled this and found a report suggesting there are now 800 in public libraries world wide with 584 in the USA. Apparently, every library service in Scotland now has one, but there are hardly any available in England or Wales. You can take a pattern to some UK design firms, but pay an arm and a leg to get a part made. Frankly, I would sooner give Starizona my custom. 

#4 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

Went out for a session last night and had to wait until after 10pm for the temps to come down to 40 to pull darks. :)

#5 Bob3137

Bob3137

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

I ordered that HC clip from Starizona about a year ago and it has been great. I had the stock clip that clipped onto the leg but broke it one afternoon loading it into my car. It's taken a little getting use to having the hand controller up on the handle itself but it definitely solved the cord wrap issue!

#6 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

Lucky you! I had a meeting in London yesterday, it reached 36° shocked.gif  

I will say I do very much enjoy our freak heatwaves. Beats the grey thundering day we've had all day today! 

#7 strdr19

strdr19

Lift Off

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

I have put velcro on the back of the hand controller and onto the upper part of the mount. 

All of it rotates together and no cord wrap issues.

Works great.

#8 Jim4321

Jim4321

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:03 PM

I bent an ~10" length of stiff multi-strand picture-hanging wire into a horseshoe / uppercase Omega-sign and epoxied the ends to the back of the HC at the top.  Then I installed a Command adhesive hook on the left side of the mount, towards the rear.  Now I can grab the HC without ever looking, and return it to the hook likewise about 95% of the time; the wire loop is stiff enough to stay open on its own.

Since I've put a finger-loop grip on the back of my tablet, I put a larger Command hook on the rear edge of the mount.  The finger loop lets it hang somewhat face-down, so its lighted face is pointed away from the EP and other observers.

The Evo is a great mount for visual & night vision use, but it can use a bit of help in the 'observing in the dark ergonomics' area... wink.gif

Jim H.

#9 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Mikenoname

ok remind me never to go near Death Valley in the summer.

take a fan and a bag of ice with you .

also a lot to drink.

take care

steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics